Say Thank You And Stop Being A Jerk

Say Thank You And Stop Being A Jerk

You don’t have to try to make everything better—just don’t make everything worse.

64
Say Thank You And Stop Being A Jerk
Falibo

Chivalry might be dead, but common courtesy is, allegedly, still alive.

Skepticism in relation to this theory is also very much alive—thriving, even, in the eyes of those who bust their asses to make each and every person with whom they interact on the job satisfied.

At least for those who work jobs at country clubs, fitness centers, pools, or any sort of society, a “thank you” means validation that the effort put into catering to a member’s needs has been acknowledged. Maybe others in the service sector can brush off the expression of gratitude more easily, but for those who work at large facilities and interact directly with many members and guests on a daily basis, a day with no aid from those two words can be of the most taxing variety.

There seem to be an utter lack of appreciation for those in the service industry. Lifeguards, event hosts, child caretakers…they’re the ones with the most complex set of responsibilities. It’s not quite customer service and it’s not quite retail. The sort of job that gets the least amount of appreciation is the kind that requires the most attention to detail, politeness, tolerance, and ingenuity. It requires some sort of specialization or certification that eliminates it from being an employment opportunity for the everyman. The level of commitment required to work at a club is beyond that of most members, which is the very reason why they pay any dues or associated fees to ensure that the job gets done.

Attending a club is a luxury. “The customer is always right” is a saying that might be true, but isn’t it a bit selfish? What about the employees? Can they ever be right?

Humbleness should not be a rarity. Those fortunate enough to afford a membership should keep in mind that the host of their party, the lifeguard watching their children have lives, too. They could very well be members at somewhere even nicer—no one is better than anyone else. Everyone is just trying to get through life happily, and this effort is only impeded when those who consider themselves entitled forget that a little bit of encouragement can go a long way.

The ones caring for children so their parents can work out do have an impact in terms of how those kids interact with others and perceive the world around them. The organizers of summer camps and supervisors at entertainment venues need to understand the ins and outs of food service, merchandising, and social psychology.

Do them a favor and don’t complain too much. It’s taxing, taking care of other people all day. Sometimes rules have to be enforced that employees don’t personally understand or agree with, but the law requires. Cooperation and compromise mean a lot for those who deal with dozens—if not hundreds—of people each day.

Yes, people make mistakes, and yes, it’s okay to get frustrated. But that anger should not be taken out on the executors of whatever. Be upset with the system, not the individuals who are just trying to help.

Thank them.