Say Goodbye To Writer's Block

Say Goodbye To Writer's Block

How to chip away at writer's block and not leave your house.

8
Drew Coffmnan, Flickr

Everyone has experienced writer’s block at some point in their lives, even if they’re not “writers.” If you’ve gone through high school then you’ve gone through the agony of sitting and staring at a blank Word document for what seems like hours. It’s frustrating and time consuming, thankfully there are some easy fixes for all those facing a deadline with a blank mind and an empty slate.

Choose a Topic

This step is vital to getting over writer’s block because it can push you in the right direction from the get go. If you don’t have a topic or theme, check out ideas #2 through #4. In all seriousness, knowing the main purpose of your article or essay is the starting block to ending your writer's block.

Jump Around

This seems cliche but it actually works. Getting that blood pumping and the oxygen flowing will re-energize you and help you focus. So stand up, stretch a little, do some yoga, shoot some hoops or whatever it is that’ll get your heart beating and your hands typing.

Shower and Suds

You don’t necessarily have to shower for this; you can take a bath if you prefer and have more time, but showers help. Something about the water and the suds and suddenly your brain will be filled with sentences you couldn’t have imagined before. As Owen Wilson’s character Gil from "Midnight in Paris" said, a shower followed by some cologne “gets the positive ions flowing.”

Research, Research, Research

That’s right, research! It’ll save you when it comes down to the clock. Research is vital because it sets you up with the proper information aka credentials, and sometimes the right string of words will give you something to talk about.

Scroll through the web

This may be the thing that everyone tells you not do because you will get sucked into the abyss of the internet, and yes that may happen but it serves another purpose. It may give you an idea. You’ll see things, maybe read a few articles and suddenly inspiration will strike.

So good luck in your future writing endeavors and if all else fails and writer's block continues to pursue you, take a cue from some of the world's greatest authors and serve yourself some alcohol to go with that block.