Saving Money As A College Student

Saving Money As A College Student

How To Financially Survive As A Broke College Student

42
Saving Money As A College Student

If you're like me, you're a college student that no longer lives with your parents. Pays for your rent, bills, cell phone, groceries, sorority dues, and whatever else life throws at you. When you're taking 15 credits, am homecoming chair in your sorority, and trying to work, all of these payments can be extremely overwhelming. Here's how I typically try to save my part-time paychecks.

1. Shop Off-Brand

I know typically name-brand processed foods tastes a million times better than off brand foods, but test a few things out. Figure out what off brand items taste just as good as the name brand items. At the time of purchasing the item it may just look like a few cents difference, but after time that change adds up.

2. Sell Your Clothes

Like most sorority sisters, I have a million clothes, but only wear about half of the articles of clothing I have. Take some time and look into a consignment store that will buy your gently worn clothes. It's a great way to make a quick buck if you're low on gas in your car and funds.

3. Coupon, Coupon, Coupon!

Coupons are my life line! Unfortunately, I do not get a paper delivered to my house, so what I typically do is run over to my parent's house and my mom lets me have hers. If your parents do not live close, run to a nearby gas station and pick up your Sunday paper. Sunday papers are typically filled with coupons that will be extremely useful for your next shopping trip!

4. Write Every Purchase Down

I fall short on this one. This past week I was not paying close attention to my bank account and ended up with negative twelve dollars in my account. Everyone has done this at least once right? BALANCE YOUR CHECKBOOK! Do not be like me and overdraw your account! By writing everything down you'll be able to calculate how much money you physically have, and what you're spending all of your money on. This will help you save money too.

5. Keep A Jar Of Change

Anytime I receive change back from a cash purchase I have made, I typically throw it in a jar when I get home. Day after day the jar quickly fills up! If you take that jar with all of your change to your bank or a nearby grocery store you can typically exchange it, at the counter or in a machine, for cash. This way you're paying for that parking ticket in all pennies.

6. Cut Back On Eating Out

Everyone loves going out for a quick bite with their friends, but eating out kills your bank account. Use those coupons that I suggested earlier and buy foods that are easy to cook at home. Instead of eating out with your friends, invite them over for dinner and tell everyone to bring one dish. I promise you all be happy deep down that you can put that twenty dollars towards more important things.

7. Wait 24 Hours Before Buying It

We all love shopping, it's my stress reliever. Typically, though, I find myself splurging at Target and H&M. My grandma, at least I think it was her, taught me to always wait twenty-four hours before purchasing something that you absolutely do not need. If you absolutely could not live without it after those twenty-four hours then go back and get it. If you forgot about it a hour after you left the store, you were better off without it.

8. Shop At Discounted Stores

You do not have to quit your shopping addiction all together to save some money. If you absolutely have to buy a new outfit, or need to redecorate your bedroom shop at a discounted store. Stores like Ollie's, Marshalls, Ross, and TJ Maxx all have a wide variety of items. There is no doubt in my mind that you will not find something you do not like.

Now here's to praying I can get my bank account above a negative balance!