5 Tips To Start Saving Like A Pro

5 Tips To Start Saving Like A Pro

Here are five smart ways to save some money.

25
5 Tips To Start Saving Like A Pro
Aidan Bartos

College can be pretty expensive. Tuition, books, supplies, etc. are all necessities for college. I have only been in college for about a month now, and I have learned things the hard way. During the summer, I spent an absurd amount of money on unnecessary "stuff" - things that I didn't need and never used. If you are a college student like me or someone who just wants to save some cash, make sure to continue reading!

1. Use coupons.

While I was growing up, I remember my dad always using coupons when he went grocery shopping for my family. My mom and I would always think that he was crazy for using coupons and having a whole book filled with them; however, as soon as I came to college, I started to understand. Wow, do those coupons save you some money! Coupons may not save you a fortune, but if the coupon can take a percentage off of the cost of an item, it's better than paying full price!

2. Don't go out to eat as much.

I know this might be the hardest tip to follow, but I promise you this will save you a lot of money. I love going out to eat. I love food in general. During the summer, I went out to eat with my friends and I spent pretty much my entire bank account on food.

According to The Motley Fool, in 2015, the average person would spend about $3,008 on restaurants and takeout alone. That is a lot of money! Stay at home and make your own meals. If you don't know how to cook, have a friend come over and do a cooking session with you! It is so much fun and it's a great way to bond and make new friends.

3. Save your change.

I know that change takes up an unwarranted amount of space in our wallets or pockets, but when you get change, save it! Put the change in a jar or in a bag. Having a lot of change can be beneficial because that change, once saved up, can end up being a lot of money! That money can be used for something that you really want or a trip somewhere new.

Also, if you are a college student, saving those quarters for laundry is a great idea. Whenever I have leftover change, I put the change in a bag so in the future I can use them for laundry or anything else.

4. Walk everywhere.

Having a car can be extremely expensive. Walking is free, and it is a great way to be active. If it's raining or snowing outside, take advantage of public transportation, which is another way to save money because it is extremely cheap.

5. Use cash instead of credit card.

When you use your credit card, you are more likely to spend more than you want to. Cash can make you realize how much money you are spending rather than waiting for the end of the month to see the damage you've made towards your credit card bill.

Keep in mind these are only a few ways in which to save some money! There are many other options, but I hope you learned a thing or two from reading this article. We're all in this together.