I Still Believe in Santa, And You Should Too

You're never too old to believe.

9
pexels.com

As we all get older, we tend to grow out of believing in things like the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and even Santa. Our society teaches us that believing in those things and even in fairy tales is only for children, to make sure they behave and all that good stuff. But it's not true. Telling them a man is watching them one month out of twelve won't make them behave any better than if he was watching all twelve months. It's a way of keeping innocence in the world.

All too often children are losing that innocence earlier and earlier. It's sad to see but with how hard times are for some people, it's understandable that a child and even their parents don't have much faith. And it's heartbreaking to see.

We shouldn't be letting this happen. Even with ourselves as individuals. It may seem foolish to some of you, or even a little odd, but still in believing in Santa or fairy tales and happily ever after shouldn't just be for children. The world is a harsh place. It's filled with hate, greed and some not so nice people. These small things are linked back to times that weren't too stressful. When you didn't have to worry if you had made enough to make that months school loan payment or car payment. When you didn't have to worry if you'd be able to put food on the table. They are small escapes from a dark world.

Children are amazing creatures. They learn in so many different ways that it's amazing to think about sometimes. They are shaped by so much of the world around them that if they only saw people acting as if Santa wasn't real, they'd never believe. That's why so many adults each year act as though they believe, so that the children around them will also believe. To keep them innocent another year longer.

Why do we only foster this around Christmas and Easter? Why don't we harbor their believes in the mythical and mystical year around? Why do we tell girls once they become a certain age that fairy tales are just made up? That there is no such thing as a happily ever after?

It's as if society says that we can only have this type of innocence for so long and then we must let it go when it's time to grow up. But this shouldn't be the case. We all could use something, or someone, to believe in. Choose to believe in Santa. Choose to believe in positive role models.

So it's not silly if as a twenty-something year old that you still have hope that there may be a guy wearing red leaving presents under your tree. Cling to that innocence and never let it go.