12 Things Every Santa Clara University Student Can Relate To

Once a Bronco, always a Bronco.

2416
th3clara.com / Facebook

1. "Sco Cos"

A phrase often heard around the campus of Santa Clara University, especially at sporting events. "Sco Cos" stands for "Let's Go Broncos". Why the original phrase got shortened is a mystery, but it will definitely be heard around campus.

2. Mimosas from Flames

The perfect pre-game for any "dayger" thrown off-campus is definitely the bottomless mimosas served at Flames. For only 13 dollars you are able to receive as many mimosas as you can finish, and you are guaranteed to run into the rest of the student body at this favorite breakfast place.

3. "Wake Up Swig"

Whether you are a freshman living in Swig, an upperclassman that reminisces on their experience in the dorm, or simply someone that never lived there, you know about the phrase "Wake Up Swig". Commonly screamed at the 11 story building or accompanied by car honks, this phrase wakes up any resident of the building when used properly.

4. "The Clara" Map of Houses

A map known as "The Clara" is commonly used by the freshmen during their first few weeks at the University. This gives any beginner the help they need in finding out the names and locations of the houses surrounding Santa Clara.

5. Tanning in the Mission Gardens

As strange as this may sound, it is extremely common to find both boys and girls tanning in the gardens. The gardens are pretty enclosed and are mostly sunny, making them the perfect place for relaxing and catching some rays during warm weather.

6. Riding the Bronco Statue

While I may have yet to do this, this is often a signature part of the Santa Clara experience. However, be warned that it is a lot harder than it looks and it makes faculty extremely upset if you get caught.

7. Gonzaga Game

While sports may not be the biggest part of Santa Clara, one game that the entire school comes out for is the basketball game against Gonzaga. Not only is it televised, but it is an extremely exciting game that is a must as a student.

8. Going Out on Wednesday Nights

Forget "Thirsty Thursdays", Santa Clara students are often out and about on Wednesday nights. This is definitely something that is considered unique to Santa Clara and confuses a lot of people that visit from other colleges.

9. The Hut, "NHL", and the "Claran"

While The Hut is temporarily closed, NHL (Normandy House Lounge) and the Claran are almost always packed. Prayers for The Hut to re-open are also commonly heard around campus.

10. Cramer's Bagels

You are definitely bound to run into other students at this favorite bagel shop near campus. Many go on Sunday morning after a wild weekend, or if they have extra time before class during the week.

11. "Mozz" Sticks from The Bronco

This is a MUST for any student at Santa Clara. Even if you don't have meal points, people find ways to get underclassmen to buy them mozzarella sticks from The Bronco.

12. Massages in the Library During Finals Week

Let's be honest, Santa Clara's campus is basically a country club. Although I have never actually received a massage during Finals Week, I always hear the announcement go off in the library. If you are planning on going, make sure you run to the first floor when the announcement is made, because as one could imagine, the wait list gets long very quickly.

Santa Clara University is definitely a wonderful place that can often be taken for granted. Take everything in while you are still here and remember Sco Cos!!