Samsung Supercharges Electric Car Future

Samsung unveils batteries that are better than Tesla's.

9

Numerous electric cars were presented at the North American Auto Show that give us a good glimpse of the future. The most important one was the Chevrolet Bolt that was awarded the 2017 North American Car of the Year.

While many other car companies have already made electric cars and while Tesla has been making electric cars for years, the Chevy Bolt is the 1st U.S.-made, mass market, fully electric car. Chevy plans to mass-produce the Bolt and hopes most American families will be able to afford it. With a price tag of $37,495, the final price could dip below $30,000 in states like California that offer many tax-incentives for electric car purchases.

It has a range of 238 miles, which is about double that of most electric cars on the market, excluding luxury automaker Tesla. Even at 238 miles though, that range is decently below that of the average gasoline vehicle on the market. And while charge-time is bound to be better than the other electric cars on the market, it will still be way longer than the few minutes it takes to fill up a gasoline car.

Enter Samsung, that is now ready to produce a revolutionary new car batter for electric cars. Samsung recently unveiled a battery that will give drivers a 310.7 miles (500km) driving range on a 20 minute charge. That 20 minute charge gives the battery an 80% charge, so wait it out a little longer, and you could get around 370 miles out of a full charge. This currently beats Tesla, whose superchargers give a 170 mile range in 30 minutes.

If Samsung can produce these batteries on a mass-scale, many automakers may soon be making deals with them to put the batteries in their electric cars. The day seems near where electric cars will be able to drive as far, if not farther, than our current gasoline cars.