Same Number, Different Name

Same Number, Different Name

A double standard that has gone too far, why are women the only ones getting called sluts when men sleep with the same amount of people?

84
Same Number, Different Name

In today’s society as a college student, it has been brought to my attention how corrupt our society truly is on the subject of diminishing women. I know being a human there will always be name calling between men and women, however, as I did a little research on social medias such as Twitter, Facebook, and an app called Band, where you can get advice just about on any subject, I discovered I was not the only one who had the same thoughts. Below is the post I made on Facebook and Band asking for people’s opinions.

A male and female have the same amount of sexual partners but at the end of the day who gets called a slut? The male? The worst he gets called is a man whore. But the female, she is the one who gets called a slut. For what reason? Women get called this name for completely invalid reasons like using the puppy filter on Snapchat or God forbid our bra strap showing. Just because women have the same number of sexual partners as men does not give anybody the right to call us a slut.

I received many responses on this topic, those who agreed, and those who did not. I will now give you some of the comments I received, some shocking and some I figured I would get.

“The female will be called a [slut] because women aren’t supposed to have autonomy over their body.”

Society sees it as “… key that unlocks many locks is considered a master key but a lock unlocked by many keys is not a very trusty lock so why would you keep it?” This is a good way to put it, however, what makes it okay today shame another human?

Maybe if women wouldn’t throw themselves at men they wouldn’t be called these names.”

I also made a Twitter Poll (which means nothing in the real world) but I figured I would take all my resources while I could. The following picture reveals the results (I just painted a picture for people due to 140 characters):

This just goes to show that more than just the girls who get called this atrocious name find this completely uncalled for. As women we are supposed to empower each other to do great things with our lives not tear each other down.

I have seen cases personally; where a male begged the girl to have sexual relations with him so eventually she finally gave in. They were single, both not tied down, and both wanted it equally as much. After this, they had plans to hangout again yet when she asked him what he was doing that night his response was shocking, “I don’t want to be part of a 10 horse stable. Sorry.” They had no commitment to each other, this girl that I know who went through this was honest and admitted she hung out with other people but they did not hangout the way these two in this case did.

So my question to all of you is simple, why does this girl pretty much get called slut and the male gets high-fived and praised for his ability to sleep around?

I think a huge issue within this issue is the irony that women are slut shamed, then in turn slut shame other women…Another girl complains about a double standard but then perpetuates it by doing it herself…We are so much more complex than these labels that we give ourselves, but it’s hard to realize that when you’re talking about another person.

I wrote this article not bashing name callers, men, or anybody for that matter. Why does everyone think it is okay to name call and bash other people? We are humans, we make mistakes, and certainly make decisions we are not proud of. WE as college students, or the next leaders, have a responsibility. We all can choose tosit here and let our peers, sisters, girlfriends, and cousins get called these frivolous names or we can take a stand and realize that we are not doing the world any good by calling each other names. If a girl is going to get called a slut for sleeping with people than the guy should too. End of story.

Are YOU going to take a stand with me?