Safety Tips to Follow During the Holidays

Follow these safety recommendations to handle a car break down, avoid a car accident and being a target for holiday theft.

21

As the holiday season approaches it's important to remember some basic safety recommendations when we're shopping for gifts and traveling during these winter months. Preparing for common car issues and practicing safe driving techniques can make a significant difference in preventing a serious crash.

Prepare an Emergency Kit for Your Car

Whether you're traveling during the summer or winter, it's always wise to keep an emergency kit in your vehicle in case it breaks down or if you are involved in a car accident. A few things to keep in your car in case of an emergency include:

• Flashlight and extra batteries
  • Jump cables
  • Warm clothes and/or blankets
  • Basic tool kit
  • First aid kit
  • Reflective triangles or emergency flares to make your vehicle visible
  • Water bottles

It's also recommended to keep written emergency contact information inside your vehicle, these could come in handy when reporting a car accident. These items can help you handle a car breakdown or treat injuries if you're in a car accident.

Drive Safely in Snow and Ice

If you're driving this holiday season and come across snow or ice on the road, you should drive more carefully than normal, the road's slippery conditions could make a car accident more likely to occur. Before leaving your house check the weather, if the forecast shows extreme weather conditions avoid driving if possible. if you need to drive, prepare yourself and pack snow chains in your car in case they are necessary. Let others know of your route and the estimated time of arrival. When driving in snowy or icy conditions, don't accelerate or brake suddenly, apply the gas slowly to avoid skids, and take your time when breaking, remember that it takes longer to slow a car down on icy roads. As always, follow road rules and if the authorities issue a warning for travelers follow their instructions.

Prevent a COVID-19 Infection

During the COVID-19 pandemic, although we are advised to avoid traveling, some people's jobs or other responsibilities force them to travel during these times. If this is your case, there are some measures you should take to prevent a COVID-19 infection or from spreading the disease. Some of these measures include wearing a mask at all times. Wear a face mask that covers your mouth and nose completely, if you're traveling on an airplane, airlines require you to wear the face mask throughout the entire flight. Aircrafts are equipped with HEPA filters, which are used in surgery rooms in hospitals and they filter out 99.9% of bacteria and viruses, but even with these filters, it's still necessary to protect yourself and others by wearing a face mask. Whether you're driving or flying, take disinfecting wipes with you and wipe down your seating area and high touch surfaces. Most car rental companies and airlines are already disinfecting their vehicles and aircrafts, but it's always safe to do extra disinfecting yourself. Make sure you keep a safe distance of at least 6 feet between you and other people. Busy airports can make it difficult to keep a safe distance, which is why wearing a face mask is so important in case you are unable to social distance.

Avoid Holiday Theft

During the holiday season, you may be an easy target for burglars if you leave gifts inside your car. Some recommendations local authorities are issuing to the community are to never leave gifts in the backseat of your vehicle where a burglar can easily spot them. Try putting them in the trunk or someplace where they can't be seen through the windows. It's easy for someone to break your car window and steal your belongings. If you're shopping online, avoid online fraud, and make sure the retailer or site you are purchasing from is trusted. If you're having gifts delivered to your home, make sure you're aware of their delivery date and time so they don't sit outside your home for long periods of time where someone can easily steal them.

The holiday season is all about enjoying and celebrating with your close ones, protect yourself and others by following these simple safety tips to avoid a car crash, a COVID-19 infection, and other unfortunate events that could dampen the festivities. As the holiday season approaches it's important to remember some basic safety recommendations when we're shopping for gifts and traveling during these winter months. Preparing for common car issues and practicing safe driving techniques can make a significant difference in preventing a serious crash.