I Chose To Be A 'Running Start Student' And I Would Never Change My Decision

Instead of going through the motions of everyday high school classes, I attended community college and got a "running start" on my future.

428
Air National Guard

Running Start is a program that is offered at my high school, where instead of attending high school classes full time you are given the opportunity to take classes at our local community college.

I applied for this program the summer of my sophomore year and was enrolled full time at the community college starting my junior year. I would continue the program and graduate high school with my Associates of Arts. I would never change my decisions, and I have a couple reason why.

1. Reduced time spent in college

To the student who will have to make their way through college with student loans, to the family who will take on the burden of financing their child through college, to the student who believes that college cannot be an option because of finances — Running Start is a great tool to help.

All of the tuition costs were covered by the high school, so all I had to pay was a very small class fee. This program cut my cost of college in half. We're talking about a discount on college. What more could a person ask for!?

2. A head start and a challenge

For those students who find that high school classes are boring, not challenging, or a waste of time running start is a great alternative. This was one of the driving factors for me in joining the program. I found high school to be not worthwhile, that I could be spending my time better, and it was not as challenging as I would have liked. Yes, my school did offer Advanced Placement classes, but I wasn't the greatest test taker, so I could never get the college credit in the end.

Therefore, taking an actual college class seemed more desirable to me. Also, I was able to get two years of college out of the way which meant I was now two years ahead of the rest of my class, so I felt as though my class time was more worthwhile.

3. A step outside the high school scene

Some students are afraid to take part in the program because they feel as though they will miss out on the "high school experience." I would disagree. I feel as though many students get burned out of the high school scene or they discover they just don't like it.

Instead of skipping classes or not putting in the effort, a change of scenery is a great option to mix things up. Running start also offers more independence and free time, which could also be very desirable to some students.

4. A great transition to the university

I think many students struggle with the jump from high school to a university or college. That is because it is a big jump. However, running start can offer a better look at the college environment and will offer help in the transition.

As a running start student, you learn how to be more independent, manage your time, and learn more self-discipline. This is because you don't have all the individuals helping you like in high school. I have been very thankful for learning these skills since I have been in college. I know it would have made the transition more challenging without them.

Overall, I would never regret becoming a Running Start Student and would encourage any student in applying and taking part because it is such a beneficial program in so many ways.