Run In With Jonah And Peter In Old Jaffa

A look at Old Jaffa port.

91
Katelyn Hand

Remember when Jonah was swallowed by a big fish?

His trip into the stomach of fish began in the port of Jaffa. Fleeing from his responsibility to prophesy to the Ninevites, Jonah made a getaway to Tarshish from Jaffa in the opposite direction of Nineveh.

But Jonah is not the point of this story; it’s Jaffa.

Our first full day in Israel, we travelled from our hotel in Tel Aviv to the neighborhood of Old Jaffa. In half a mile’s walk, there were many interesting sites to discover.

First was St. Peter’s church.

St. Peter’s church has served as a beacon for pilgrims, alerting them that the Holy City is near. Built and run by the Franciscans, the church faces West in reflection of Peter’s missionary journey west to the gentiles.

The church was not open during our visit, but the outside was gorgeous.

Traveling down the road from the church, there was a stunning fountain with zodiac figurines.

Walking along the paved walkways, stairs and alleyways, we made our way to Simon the Tanner’s home.

Acts 10:5-6 tells of the Peter’s stay in Jaffa (also known as Joppa): “Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter. He is staying with Simon the tanner, whose house is by the sea.”

Simon the Tanner’s home is a monument marked as the place Peter had a monumental dream to spread the Gospel to gentiles in the west. Also at that site, Peter is said to have resurrected Tabitha on the roof of Simon the Tanner’s home.

This site was the beginning of our trip, a great place to start and open my eyes. Because of disciples like Peter who spread the Gospel to the gentiles, the Gospel has found its way into my life and my heart. Not to mention the view of the Mediterranean is breathtaking.