'Roswell: New Mexico' is a Reboot That Works

'Roswell: New Mexico' brings a new life of diversity and inclusion to a show that explores alienation.

58

Being unemployed for the summer means that I have a lot of free time on my hands. I started CW's new show "Roswell: New Mexico" because I'm a huge fan of "The Vampire Diaries". The showrunner for TVD is also spearheading this show as well and though both shows are cheesy and a bit overdramatic, they really tap into something I love very dearly. They remind me of the melodramatic teen shows that I grew up watching, and frankly continue to devour with no remorse.

"Roswell: New Mexico" follows Liz Ortecho, a microbiologist back in her hometown to visit her father. Liz left the town after high school, her sister Rosa died in a drunk driving accident, taking two other girls' lives. Liz quickly rekindles an old flame from high school: Max Evans who also happens to be an alien. When Max heals her from a bullet wound after being shot, Liz learns about the underground Alien life that has always been in Roswell.

Being a reboot of an early 2000's teen show, I did not expect this show to handle such delicate topics. You know, it's a cheesy CW show, I knew what I was in for when I started it. But the show takes time to weave social issues into its narrative. Liz's father is an illegal immigrant, and there are so many consequences they both must deal with because of it. There are certain things she cannot do in fear of her father getting taken by ICE, including bringing him to the hospital when he's ill. The show gives us racist characters as well, which the main characters are unfazed by since this is normal to them. There are gay and bisexual characters, who get to fall in love and are given the chance to openly love who they love.

"Roswell: New Mexico" could've easily followed the original show and have an all-white cast. And I absolutely commend them for casting non-white actors to play non-white characters. They build a Roswell that would conceivably be real, just with an alien twist.

The show is a fun, enjoyable binge watch. I can't wait to watch season two when it airs, and I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a guilty pleasure watch.