Netflix's Rom-Com Renaissance Encourages Viewers To Become Readers

Based-on-book stories are being turned into movies left, right, center!

43

After watching Netflix's film-version of To All the Boys I've Loved Before the entirety of the Internet lost their marbles over the adorable relationship between Lara Jean Covey and Peter Kavinsky. Reasonably so. I have watched said movie, and to be entirely truthful, I may have watched it again immediately afterward.

What's not to love? A beautiful story with equally gorgeous characters, all set in a romantic, East-coast town spells big love for the movie and sequels to come.

Netflix has been remarkably on-point with the novel-to-film creations it has been spewing out over the last few years. TATBILB is no exception to the success that Netflix has garnered because of its production of these films. Besides this film, Netflix produced 13 Reason Why, Girlboss, Anne with an E, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and most recently they announced the creation of a movie and TV series based on The Chronicles of Narnia. With all these heavily-received and, in some cases, viral productions released in the last few years, it is no surprise that these same viewers are heading back to bookstores to grab copies of the novels that inspired the visual works.

When I first watched TATBILB I adventured through the painstaking journey of trying to order the book trilogy by Jenny Han only to find scarcely few copies left. Physical bookstores were looted and wiped clean. Even on Amazon, I was able to order all three books with the condition that the second book (which is currently the highest in demand) would arrive two weeks after the first and third.

Now, what should surprise those who are unfamiliar with the storyline and fandom is that the first book was actually released in 2014, four years ago. Therefore, both the book and the movie were not simultaneously let out into the world. I can conclude that generally people watched TATBILB and felt an overwhelming urge, as I did, to read the books. This makes sense as the films had wonderful writing themselves, and all the actors worked together to craft a compelling story. However, this craze to read the books immediately after watching the movie rendered book-sellers and publishers, alike, to lose their minds over providing enough copies.

This is an incredibly heartening phenomenon to me. If you've read some of my blogs before, you know that not only did I study English in college, but that I consume books in a way not dissimilar to starving wolves finally eating in the middle of winter. A lovely image, yes, but I do truly love this sense of urgency in reading. I especially get excited to see the debates and conversations that are sparked in-person or on the Internet -- in forums, Goodreads, and Tumblr. If Netflix is somehow encouraging a new generation of readers to consume and deliberate about media in various forms, I can definitely get behind them. As if I don't already obsessively binge-watch Netflix shows every night to prove otherwise.