What to Do if You Get Into a Car Accident While on a Road Trip

Don't let a car accident ruin your road trip!

1

Getting into a car accident can be extremely difficult, especially during a road trip. You may be travelling with friends or family, which can result in injuries across the board, complicating an already messy situation. If you find yourself in a car accident while on a road trip, it is important to consider some of these tips to reduce damage and liability issues.

Move to a Safe Location

If it is possible, try to move your vehicle to the side of the road and turn on your hazard lights. Check on everyone in the car to make sure that nobody is injured. If you have injured people, avoid moving them if there is no immediate danger in the vehicle.

Call the Professionals

Dial 911 and request medical assistance if anyone is injured. The police will create an accident report which will be helpful later on. If there is fire or smoke visible around the vehicles involved, it can also be a good idea to have the fire department drop by to reduce fire risks. Steer clear of damaged sections to avoid injuring yourself further.

Exchange Information with the Other Drivers

Once you have minimized the danger, it is recommended for you to get the other driver’s name, contact information, insurance company, and policy number. Trade paperwork and information in order to clear up the situation as quickly and as smoothly as possible. Mutual cooperation will result in the best possible outcome following an accident.

Take Pictures

Use your phone or a camera on hand to take photos of the damage to both vehicles, as well as any skid marks and debris on the road. You want to be as thorough as possible in order to provide the professionals with a detailed layout of what went wrong. It can also help your auto accident attorney start building their case.

Contact Your Insurance Company

Inform your insurance professionals about the accident at your earliest convenience. They will likely need to open up a claim and may send an adjuster to evaluate the damage. Be patient, as the process may take some time.

Always make sure that there is no immediate bodily danger on the scene before proceeding through these steps. If your injuries are minimal, it is a good idea to check on everyone involved to see who needs urgent medical attention. When professionals arrive on the scene, prepare to have an account ready to get on the path towards resolving a bad situation.