The Road Back From Self-Harm

The Road Back From Self-Harm

Finally free from self-harm, and finding your way back to who you are.

576
The Road Back From Self-Harm

Self-Harm is increasingly becoming a more prominent thing in children and teenagers' lives. Self-Harm is a precursor to suicide along with depression, PTSD, and various other disorders. Self-Harm can create a sense of control or relief from stress in a child's/teenager's life. They feel as if they have some sort of control of the chaos inside their lives and head.

I personally struggled with self-harm from my sophomore year of high school to my freshman year of college. I have since been Self-Harm free for almost 4 years. My road back was a difficult one and I understand those who struggle with this daily fight how hard it can be to not take a sharp object, (in my case scissors) and take your emotions into your own hands. So what do you do now that you are self-harm free?

How do you go back?

Well in all reality we cannot go back to do what we used to. So it's time to take a step forward into a new path into self-realization. When I first stopped self-harm I had to find something else to do to gain control of my life. Therapy was my first door into who I am today. Therapists are a great tool for gaining back your self-worth, self-esteem, and self-confidence. Each therapist is different and depending on what state you are in or who you are will dictate what you look for into a therapist.

Therapy isn't for everyone so maybe you slowly find lost hobbies you loved to do. Maybe you need to get organized! I felt like I had no relief to the stress of living up to everyone's expectations in my life. So I was encouraged to plan my day so that there was no time to engage in self-harm. Once I had my schedule I rediscovered lost hobbies, friends, and relationships that I neglected because I felt so alone. This road back from self-harm is not easy and I sympathize and empathize with those who struggle with this too. This is not just a symptom but can be its own disorder if not dealt with.

I do not pretend to be a professional. I am just a woman who has gone through this and I want everyone to know especially those who are going through the same thing that you are not alone! You are beautiful, you are worth everything, and you do not need to scar your body to feel in control or to feel in general!

To those who know someone going through this please encourage them to get help and stand by them and let them know they are loved! If you know someone or are someone who may be suicidal I encourage you to visit https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ for more information and help!