RNC Overview

RNC Overview

A summary of the catastrophic events that was The RNC.

10
RNC Overview
ABC NEWS

The 2016 republican national convention was held in the quicken loans arena, located in Cleveland, Ohio. This four-day event was filed with excitement, long winded political rhetoric, and a whole lot of controversy.

Day One:

Day one was a complete an utter bust. Melania Trump was chastised by social media when her speech writer copied word for word a speech in which Michelle Obama had given in the 2008 Democratic National Convention. This supposedly coincidental incident overshadowed some other great speeches. One of those speeches included former New York City Mayor, Rudy Giuliani, commenting on the police brutality issue that faces this country, “there is no white or black America, there is just America” he said. He went on to state “when [police officers] come to save your life, they don’t ask if your black or white. They just come to save you.”

Day Two:

Day two was about setting records for the history books. Donald trump officially claimed the republican nomination with 1,543 delegates. After he announced the 2016 republican national ticket, house speaker Paul Ryan said, “Democracy is a series of choices. Republicans, we have made our choice.” New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, continued with a speech and Donald trump’s children finished the day off. A notable quote was one by Trump Jr. “This is the most important election of our lifetime, one that will determine the future of our country and in turn, the future of the world.”

Day Three:

Day three was bizarre, it started off with Ted Cruz admitting he still is in opposition of Trump. After being booed, Cruz relinquished the podium to former GOP candidate Ben Carson who had an extremely weird speech asserting that Hillary Clinton admires or “acknowledges” Lucifer. “This is a nation where every coin in our pockets… has "in God We Trust" he said. “So, are we willing to elect someone as president who has, as their role model, somebody who acknowledges Lucifer? Think about that.” What? That leaves me wondering what he was smoking before the event. So far the RNC has been a complete disaster. Once again, this election cycle has made the republican leadership, and this nations politics the laughing stock of the world. Not to mention at the end of day three, conservative radio talks show host Laura Ingraham, when waving to the crowed, did an accidental Hitler salute.

Day Four:

Day four wasn’t much better. Starting off with controversial comments by Trumps campaign manager, Paul Manafort making sexist comments when on air with MSNBC. Later on that night, PayPal co-founder, Peter Thiel, bashed the GOP due to their anti-gay stance and proudly announced that he was, in fact, gay. The odd night continued with trump slamming Hillary in a speech which concluded with him saying that he expects Bernie supporters and “millions of other democrats” to join the trump train. After cheers and applause from the audience Trump proudly stated “my opponent askes her supporters to recite a three-word loyalty pledge. It reads: 'I’m with her.' I choose to recite a different pledge. My pledge reads: 'I’m with you – the American people.'”

In my opinion the Republican National Convention was a complete disaster. Unfortunately, the republicans made themselves look bad once again. The RNC was meant promote the agenda of republican’s everywhere. It was meant to recruit support for the opposition against Hillary Clinton. Instead it made the republican leadership look foolish and weak. This election is agreed on by most, to be the strangest election in United States History. I have a feeling that from here on out, it’ll get weirder every day.