R&B Is Back: 15 Albums You Don't Want To Miss In 2016

It's finally R&B's time to make its presence known in the music industry.

39
xonecole.com

Since about 2012, real R&B music has slowly but surely been on the rise. Although it seems that R&B's golden age has come and gone, 2016 is shaping up to be an exciting year for lovers of this undervalued genre. Here's a list of 13 artists and their albums you can't afford to miss in the year of 2016:

1. Brandy

Last Album: "Two Eleven" (2012)

Newest Project: TBA

Background: Brandy’s already winning big this year thanks to her new BET sitcom, “Zoe Ever After.” On the musical side of things, Brandy’s comeback single “Beggin’ and Pleadin’” was met with a swarming positive response, and her decision to go independent places full creative control in her hands, which is something to be excited about. Welcome back, Brandy!

2. Anthony Hamilton

Last Album: "Back to Love" (2011)

Newest Project: "What I'm Feelin'" (March 25)

Background: After the release of his new single “Amen” last month, R&B crooner Anthony Hamilton is back with his signature style and sound with his new album "What I'm Feelin'." Make sure to check it out on March 25!

3. Ella Mai

Last Album: N/A

Newest Project: "Time - EP" (Feb. 18)

Background: The London-based singer is a new face to the music scene after being signed by DJ Mustard last month. You can check out her new EP, "Time," on her SoundCloud page.

4. Eric Bellinger

Last Album: "Cuffing Season, Pt. 2" (2015)

Newest Project: "Eventually – EP" (Feb. 11)

Background: Eric Bellinger continues to build his impressive discography with his latest EP, "Eventually," which was released last month. Blessed with superb vocal ability and a firm grasp on the current sound, it’s only a matter of time before Bellinger receives his long-overdue breakout success.

5. Jaheim

Last Album: "Appreciation" (2013)

Newest Project: "Struggle Love" (March 18)

Background: Jaheim is making his way back to musical spotlight with his new album, "Struggle Love," which is due for release on March 18. You can pre-order his album now on Amazon, Google Play and iTunes.

6. Mya

Last Project: "Love Elevation Suite – EP" (2015)

Newest Project: "Smoove Jones" (Feb. 14)

Background: After a string of wildly underrated EPs, Mya is finally back with her newest effort, "Smoove Jones," which was released to all of the lovers on Valentine’s Day. Her canary-esque vocals in conjunction with an old-school-meets-new school-theme makes the album worth the listen ("Coolin’" is the jam!)

7. Sevyn Streeter

Last Project: "Shoulda Been There, Pt. 1 – EP" (2015)

Newest Project: TBA

Background: After last year’s success of her EP, "Shoulda Been There, Pt. 1," Sevyn Streeter has been posted up in the studio for the past few weeks working on her debut album. Although there isn’t a definite release date, make sure to keep your eye on R&B’s brightest rising star.

8. Chrisette Michele

Last Album: "Lyricists Opus" (2014)

Newest Project: "Steady Gang Mix" (Feb. 27)

Background: The ever-evolving Chrisette Michele has done it again on her "Steady Gang Mix" mixtape. Her oh-so-fresh covers of today’s hits and outstanding originals solidifies what we already know: she’s one talented woman. You can check out the mixtape exclusively on DatPiff.com

9. The Suffers

Last Project: "Make Some Room – EP" (2015)

Newest Project: "The Suffers" (Feb. 12)

Background: R&B just received a breath of fresh air from this Houston-based band. After last year’s release of their first EP, this funky bunch released their self-titled debut album on Feb. 12, and it is soul singin’ magic! You can go ahead and buy their album on iTunes, and trust me when I say that you won’t be disappointed!

10. Fantasia

Last Project: "Side Effects of You" (2013)

Newest Project: TBA

Background: It’s great to know that Fantasia’s back in booth, as she’s just released her new single “No Time For It.” If her duet with American Idol hopeful La’Porsha Renae is any indication, I can’t wait for the next album!

11. Brian McKnight

Last Album: "More Than Words" (2013)

Newest Project: "Better" (Feb. 26)

Background: Brian McKnight continues to put out quality music with the release of his new, live instrument lead album "Better," which is now available on iTunes.

12. Tweet

Last Album: "It's Me Again" (2005)

Newest Project: "Charlene" (Feb. 26)

Background: After an eleven-year hiatus, Tweet is back with a new sound on her third studio album, "Charlene." Tweet’s talent still proves undeniable, especially on her second single, “Magic.”

13. BJ The Chicago Kid

Last Album: "Pineapple Now-Laters" (2012)

Newest Project: "In My Mind" (Feb. 19)

Background: With the release of his new album, "In My Mind," up-and-comer BJ The Chicago Kid is in for a big year as the world begins to take notice of his D’Angelo-esque vocals and authentic artistry.

14. K. Michelle

Last Album: "Anybody Wanna Buy a Heart?" (2014)

Newest Project: "More Than Issues Than Vogue" (Mar. 25)

Background: R&B star K. Michelle isn’t messing around on her newest album, "More Issues Than Vogue." Determined to craft a sound that’s all her own, the Memphis singer has proved unstoppable in the face of adversity. You can now pre-order her new album on all platforms before its release on March 25.

15. Corinne Bailey Rae

Last Album: "The Sea" (2010)

Newest Project: "The Heart Speaks in Whispers" (May 13)

After her six year hiatus, British singer-songwriter Corinne Bailey Rae is back with a new single and a new album, entitled "The Heart Speaks in Whispers." The album is available for pre-order on iTunes.