We Have The Right To Vote

We Have The Right To Vote

Why you should vote, even if you don't think you want to.

4
We Have The Right To Vote
Wikipedia

As a 19-year-old United States Citizen, this upcoming presidential election will be the first election I have been able to take part in. There are a lot of people like myself who have their first chance to submit their votes and have an impact on our government. Unfortunately, this upcoming election has been different than most.

I have not heard many first-time voters express their excitement to be able to finally vote, but instead have spoken of their disappointment in who their options to vote for are. Many people may be discouraged by the Presidential candidates. Many people may even think they're better off saving their time and energy and not voting at all.

Even though my opinions of both parties are not great, I will not be discouraged from having a say in who becomes the next United States President. Even though many people, not just first-time voters, are losing interest and hope in this election, I will not.

There are so many negative and evil things occurring in our world right now. Our country is slowly being pulled apart in a million different directions by groups of people who are fighting for what they believe is right. Instead of all this physically fighting, why don't we fight in the way our country intended us to?

All the hate, cruelty, and pain, should be channeled into actually doing something to make this country a better place. We should be discussing our options, creating future plans, acting with rationality. But, we are acting out, finding others to blame, creating hate.

This past week, social media has been exploding with opinions on what to do, what not to do, and fear of what will happen. People are saying they want to leave this country. People are saying they do not want to bring children into this world.

We all know this world will never be a perfect place. This country will never be a perfect place. But what we are doing, how we are handling our problems, is only bringing us further down, instead of building us stronger.

If we are not satisfied with the options we have, lets voice our opinions and make them better. If we want change, we ask for it over and over, until we see it happen. If we want this country to be a better place, we can not sit around and complain about it in Facebook posts.

“You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

If you don't think you want to take part in this upcoming presidential election, that is your choice. But, if you choose not to vote when you have the opportunity to, and are unhappy with this country within the next four years, do not put the blame completely onto everyone else. If you don't think your vote will make a difference, you're wrong.

As a United States Citizen who is over the age of 18, I have the right to vote. I will be voting in the upcoming presidential election. I hope you do, too.