Rewarding Yourself For Weight Loss Is Perfectly OK

Weight loss isn't always just kale and sunshine.

97
Author's photo

"HELL YES! I lost 3 pounds!"

*Me after not eating like a complete glutton for a week.*

We've all been there, especially those of us who struggle with our weight--losing it specifically. Even the smallest 1/2 pound shed feels like a miracle. It's something to be proud of, and it's definitely okay to want to celebrate your accomplishments.

Throughout my life, my weight has been a constant struggle and if you are anything like me, it may not be due to lack of exercise. I actually get a lot of exercise, my diet just isn't something to be proud of, however. I go through spells of eating like the world's best "meal-prepper" to throwing it away in one day of binge-eating pizza in my pajamas on my couch, probably watching Criminal Minds with my dog.

"Don't be like that!"

"I can't believe you're going to throw away what you've worked so hard on!"

"Why would you eat that?"

"That's so unhealthy, I thought you were on a diet?"

All the above are statements that not only I, but fellow sporadic health nuts, often hear after eating clean for a while and after maybe even shedding a few pounds.

Excuse me for wanting to eat the biggest double bacon cheeseburger Whataburger has to offer after eating like a rabbit for 3 weeks!

It's not all kale and sunshine over here. Eating clean can be extremely difficult, especially when you aren't used to it or have a major sweet tooth like I do. There are days that just downright suck and you want your favorite comfort food, but you don't give in because you want to be the best you.

You are doing awesome!

The hard work, sweat, and will power will all pay off when the inches and the pounds start inching down. It takes a lot of effort to lose weight so who says that your efforts can't be rewarded?

I'm not saying go crazy and eat a whole pizza or have ice cream for every meal on your "cheat day", but you're working so hard, why be miserable? Go have that margarita or eat that piece of cake and don't you dare think about the calories, because you've busted your butt to earn an indulgence.

When teams win tournaments, they get trophies. When people do a great job at work, they get a raise or a promotion. If a girl wins a pageant, she gets a crown. When you train your dog to sit or do tricks, you give them treats.

You see where I'm going here?

You're working hard and accomplishing your goals, you're losing weight, what's your reward?

Don't be pessimistic and say that your reward is a hot, healthy bod. Don't be that guy (or girl). Enjoy the fruits of your labors and have a treat. Rewarding yourself for weight loss is perfectly okay.