To the Most Underwhelming Half Time Show In Superbowl History, Where Was 'Sweet Victory'?

To the Most Underwhelming Half Time Show In Superbowl History, Where Was 'Sweet Victory'?

We all know the game wasn't very exciting, somehow, neither was the halftime show.

54

Shortly after Maroon 5 was announced to perform the Pepsi Halftime Show, a teaser trailer was released hinting to a Spongebob cameo after the creator of SpongeBob, Stephen Hillenburg passed away at age 57. After the trailer was released social media was so excited and wanted to see a recreation of "Sweet Victory" from Spongebob and many said it would be the most epic halftime show.

We were wrong.

Minutes after the show ended, Twitter exploded with Tweets of disappointment after the show.

Maroon 5 is usually a top performer, and they weren't too bad other than the somewhat bland performance. Let's be real, we'll probably never see a performance like Lady Gaga's in 2017. However, the show would've probably had been better if it was only Maroon 5. Adam Levine started off slightly off key but was able to pick it up in one of his later songs, so he wasn't too bad.

But why did he strip? I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mind seeing a little bit of Adam because well, he's gorgeous. But it begged the question for many watching, why did Janet Jackson have to issue an apology for her wardrobe malfunction, while Adam can freely take his clothes off. Now I don't really side with this argument because I do think it's a little different than Janet Jackson's situation, however, if a woman were to perform in a bra and topless, I don't think it would be received as well. If it were, she would also face a lot more criticism/judgment on her body than Adam Levine has. If it were a woman, every flaw would be pointed out, "she should hide her stretch marks," or "she does not have the right body type to be wearing that," or "that's so trashy that she went on stage wearing that." If you didn't notice, Adam doesn't really have a 6 pack anymore either, but I haven't seen any upset/anger over that.

The two other artists included in the show were Big Boi and Travis Scott. I had only heard a few Big Boi songs before the Super Bowl, and I felt he was kind of a poor choice for a guest performer. He was better than Travis Scott though. Not only did Travis Scott interrupt our excitement of seeing "Sweet Victory" performed live by Maroon 5, but he also can't get through a song without cursing. The first part of his rap when he began cursing, I thought something was wrong with my T.V. because it went silent for a second. Well, it didn't take me long to realize he was cursing and the station had to block it out, and throughout his song, there were multiple parts that had to be blocked out. I was pretty disinterested to watch a performance where I couldn't hear half of the words because they were blocked out.

Overall, the halftime show was pretty underwhelming, the guest performer choices were poor, and Adam could've probably had a more exciting show had he been more focused on song choice, theatrics, and less focused on being shirtless during his performance.