Prepare For An Experience Like No Other With Pandora: The World Of Avatar

Pandora: The World of Avatar brings back that fantasy in the kind of story I would have dreamt up as a child, now brought to life before my very eyes.

137
WDW Magic

After six long years of ridicule, budget inflation, and hostile speculation, the long-awaited yet frequently maligned Pandora: The World of Avatar has finally been unveiled to the public. For over half of a decade, Disney fans have harbored an intense resentment towards Disney for this asinine "Avatar Project."

It has been the butt of many jokes in both the Disney community and the general public--just ask any fan of "Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure" at Universal's Halloween Horror Nights. The idea of an "Avatar Land" invading the precious magic of the Disney parks is among the most insulting and embarrassing blows to the brand in recent memory.

But as controversy grew, the land grew with it. Original ideas from original concept art happened to lay by the wayside for something a bit more in tune with the magical legacy of Disney. The land became less of an adaptation of "Avatar" and more of a story-world centered around Pandora and the beauty and conservation that encompasses both it and the Disney's Animal Kingdom park as a whole.

Combine the more Disney-friendly take on the world as well as a focus on cutting-edge technology never before attempted anywhere in the world, Pandora: The World of Avatar was slowly growing a bit of a following from some of the reluctant. New details were met with a bit more anticipation and excitement than before as Disney vehemently assured the public this new land would be unlike anything before.

Now that the land is officially open, it's time to step inside the jungles of Pandora to see how it all turned out. Were the years of waiting worth it? Is it as impressive as Disney keeps saying?

In a word? Yes.

The Entrance

The 4.4 light year travel from Earth to the moons of Pandora begins when guests cross a tucked away bridge, leaving the sights, smells, and sounds of Disney's Animal Kingdom behind them.

Along the bridge, guests are treated to their first indication of a world maybe larger than anticipated with the discovery of trash cans branded with logos for the Alpha Centauri Expeditions, one of a couple intricately complicated, fictional companies deeply rooted in the story of this land--in this case, one that strengthens the ease of interplanetary travel for guests of all shapes and sizes.

After fully crossing the bridge, the unprecedented immersion of Pandora: The World of Avatar begins almost instantly. To the left, a welcome sign invites guests to explore this land inhabited by the indigenous Na'vi population, while also detailing the tips and tricks to avoid confrontation with deadly wildlife and perilous situations.

To the right, a large, half-gross, half-cool looking endangered plant called the "flaska reclinata" juts out from the jungle, releasing pores to help detoxify the air in Pandora. With the detail found just in this one sign as well as the plant--which can be seen pictured above--it's abundantly clear Pandora: The World of Avatar is not your typical theme park attraction, but a fully realized world with backstory found in even the most gratuitous of places.

You see, the sign--which can be seen here--does not end at a simple introduction, but features a fully detailed map of the moon along with mapping legend of base camps, architecture, and ceremonial grounds both inside and outside of the areas guests can roam, making this already large land feel so much larger one might have expected.

The "flaska reclinata" plant even has a backstory impossible to discern from simple glance. The Na'vi had intentionally ripped open the plant, releasing the detoxifying pores to help this endangered plant repopulate as well as bring about a more breathable air for humans to peacefully coexist.

Not only can guests see those aforementioned pores a little farther down the valley, the plant's open wound includes an interactive element for guests to play with. No spoilers here, of course, but gently petting the plant results in a neat surprise sure to enthrall even the least observant of guests.

After being welcomed into the land, guests walk a few feet more, rounding a corner, and stepping deep into the heart of Pandora: The World of Avatar--the Valley of Mo'ara. The real show is about to begin...

The Valley of Mo'ara

"You will never get a second chance to make a first impression."

It seems as if Pandora: The World of Avatar has put its entire reputation on the line to honor the lesson found in Will Rogers' famous quote. Just a hop, skip, and a jump away from the entrance, guests round a winding pathway for their first official view of the land in all its supreme glory. In a view unlike any other, Disney has revolutionized the very definition of theme park entertainment by creating the single most immersive experience found anywhere on the planet.

Serving as the land's central hub, the Valley of Mo'ara is bursting with breathtaking imagery as well as layers upon layers of story found in what seems like billions of microscopic details. The land is quite literally overgrown with distinct alien foliage, while unseen creatures can be heard roaming the jungles in the distance.

Every single one of the hundreds of brightly colored alien plants have distinguishable identities and purposes to helping cultivate Pandora's environment, while every single creature heard has been carefully paired with realistic noises to reflect the noises creatures with the right body types and species classes would belong to.

Interactive elements have also been scattered throughout the land to further enhance the sensory overload Pandora: The World of Avatar pridefully offers. Jumping water fountains pointed at guests have been disguised as deadly water creatures while beating interactive drums can audibly summon the Na'vi god Eywa to join in.

Even the remnants of the civil war shown in the film have been hidden as clever easter eggs to anybody paying attention. Absolutely no stone has been left unturned here as every single vantage point has been covered in vivid detail. No picture or video will ever do this land justice.

But the main star of this area comes overhead in the form of Pandora's floating mountains. While it is true that the connecting vines protruding from the sides immediately ruin the illusion of actual levitation, the sheer size of these beauties more than makes up for it. Standing under these grotesquely large mountains is guaranteed to transform even the toughest and bravest into feeling the smallest and most insignificant.

And strolling down Pandora's many hidden pathways can allow for countless different views of them. There is no camera on Earth capable of capturing the scale and magnitude these beasts boasts. These mountains must be seen in person. This is non-negotiable.

When guests finally pick their jaws from the floor, it's time to embark on one of the experiences Disney has given guests in this new land--The Na'vi River Journey.

The Na'vi River Journey

The first of two attractions found in Pandora: The World of Avatar, The Na'vi River Journey is a slow-moving family boat ride through the overrun nighttime jungles of Pandora. On a mission to search for the revered Shaman of Songs, guests travel through the bioluminescent night life, occasionally encountering creatures and Na'vi roaming the grounds.

Floating jellyfish creatures soar overhead, wolf-like predators trot off in the distance and other four-legged animals puff up their feathers as guests roll past. Above, glowing blue plant leaves reveal the footprints of small animals as they run across the fronds.

While lacking in thrills, The Na'vi River Journey builds excitement through its sheer creativity and surreal atmosphere. Just as the land the ride inhabits, The Na'vi River Journey adheres to a similar mysterious vibe in which some of its biggest surprises are saved for way late in the game.

The finest example of this observation comes in the form of the Shaman herself--the most realistic, life-like audio animatronic ever created. She can be seen in the photo above, but she can also be seen in action here. Serving as the ride's ultimate finale, the Shaman of Songs possesses a near human-like fluidity in her motion and an impressively detailed body.

Her arms flail wildly, her tail wags sporadically, and her eyes lock onto riders in passing boats to make one unbelievable staring challenge. It's an image manufactured to produce at least a couple of double takes from unsuspecting passengers, while impressing even the most "seen-it-all" type tourists in the crowd.

The technology found inside this attraction further emphasizes the innate beauty this land is capable of and there is still so much left to see. On to the food.

The Satu'li Canteen & Pongu Pongu

To brave the perilous land of Pandora, one must build up quite an appetite. After a morning of exploring mountains, hiking secret pathways, and roaming through jungles, guests can turn to the Satu'li Canteen for nourishment.

Designed as a former mess hall for the Resources Development Administration--another company indoctrinated into the land's story--the Satu'li Canteen is layered head to toe with more examples of the Na'vi's presence. The main lobby features beautiful, large, hand woven, braided structures that extend throughout the remainder of the building, encroaching upon the once formal, militaristic style of the setting. To dine under lavish Na'vi artwork is a dining experience unlike any other.

But moving on to the food itself, the Sau'li Canteen serves a diverse, exotic menu that stands out as one of the more "alien" features in this alien land. Pictured above, the presentation of the food is something of a marvel as simple entrees like cheeseburgers have been transformed into tiny, white pods, while a Make-Your-Own-Bowl style plate is met with Boba Balls and peculiar seasonings.

These arrangements are sure to satisfy any basic Instagram while the taste itself is guaranteed to satisfy anyone ranging from mildly hungry to full on hangry--the wood-grilled chicken with black bean vinaigrette over a red and sweet potato hash is my official recommendation.

Stepping outside of the Canteen, a large, broken mech stands dormant in front of a small shack named Pongu Pongu. Run by a former expat that began anew on Pandora, Pongu Pongu is a small drink stand offering drinks rivaling the bizarre qualities found in the Canteen's food.

The Mo'ara Margarita stands out as a delicious highlight using Boba Balls to heighten texture, while Strawberry and Blood Orange tequila create a taste better than even the best of theme park beverages. Whatever guests are craving in terms of both food or drink, Pandora: The World of Avatar has crafted such a large deviation from the norm, all guests will find something to enjoy.

After a bit of nourishment, the hike up the floating mountain range begins for the land's second attraction--the epic Avatar Flight of Passage.

Avatar Flight of Passage

The second of two attractions here, Avatar Flight of Passage is a 3D augmented reality motion simulator that transports guests into the bodies of avatars for the ceremonial flight atop a wild banshee through the beautiful but treacherous land of Pandora.

The experience of Avatar Flight of Passage begins long before guests actually sit down for their flight, however, as Avatar Flight of Passage somehow stands out as one of the most immaculately designed pieces of an already perfect looking land.

Before flying through Pandora, guests are asked to wait in one of the longest queue lines anywhere on Walt Disney World property--sources indicate the queue can hold 5-6 hours worth of guests. Starting as a light hike up the mountains, the queue then takes guests through the mountain's interior where exceptionally large cave paintings decorate the caverns along with hand-woven tribal artifacts hang from the ceilings. Moving out of the caves, the queue then travels into Pandora's gorgeous night time jungle where the bioluminescent lighting explodes with color around you.

While the Na'vi River Journey showcased the jungle beforehand, the Avatar Flight of Passage is the first time guests can actually interact with the jungle by walking through it. Traveling a little further, the queue then enters the research labs of the Pandora Conservation Initiative where the massive animatronic avatar--pictured above--lies dormant in a testing pod. The queue ends in the next room where scientific displays read information regarding weather, avatar health, and miscellaneous statistics.

The queue is so well realized, walking through it is almost an attraction in it of itself. The magnificent beauty of this land cannot be stressed enough, and a large majority of that beauty is found here in this queue.

But the incredible queue is only a taste of what's to come as the ride that waits beyond this queue is one of the most technologically advanced experiences found in any park anywhere in the world. After being subjected to a hilariously awkward pre-show, guests board bicycle looking vehicles used to convey the feelings of flight riders will be exposed to on their journey.

As the ride begins, guests are faced with the fully realized world of James Cameron's "Avatar" by flying, falling, diving, swooping, and looping through beautiful gardens, treacherous oceans, and stunning creature stampedes. With the smoothest motion fluidity found in any theme park today, the Avatar Flight of Passage emulates the most sincere form of flying, making way for one of the most thrilling rides ever conceived.

It's easy to forget this flight is nothing more than a motion simulator as the technology implemented creates a sense of flying that can only be found in a child's pretend adventures in their backyard. This ride is a spectacle in every sense of the word, ushering in a severe disappointment when the ride ends, letting guests escape back to boring reality.

With all attractions covered, Pandora: The World of Avatar has one last trick up its sleeve--the game changing night time experience.

Pandora at Night

As the day draws to an end, Pandora: The World of Avatar changes in a monumental way. Just as it did in the film, Pandora becomes a vastly different environment when the sun sets. This gradual change into "Pandora After Dark" starts to make its transition at dusk when the background audio of Pandora's more innocent creatures changes into more threatening noises from creatures ready to venture out into the night. But amongst that subtle progression, Pandora: The World of Avatar has a far more obvious change in its blinding bioluminescent light.

In a collection of theme parks famous for indescribable beauty, the nighttime views of Pandora: The World of Avatar stand out as the single greatest highlight currently available at the Walt Disney World Resort. Nearly every single color that has ever existed since the dawn of time has been implemented in a bright bioluminescent glow above guests, below guests, behind guests, in front of guests, and any other direction imaginable.

Hidden pathways illuminate secret areas impossible to see in the daylight while interactive elements hiding in the lights provide guests with brand new details that can literally only be witnessed at night. In fact, the land's reliance on a lively nighttime atmosphere is so integral to its execution, it's easy to say that Pandora: The World of Avatar is a completely different area at night than the daytime hours. No theme park attraction anywhere in the world is capable of an effortless change in presentation such as this.

And with this land being as abnormally large as it is, an emotional toll might take its toll on guests not prepared for exposure to sensory overload. To provide a bit of perspective, Pandora: The World of Avatar does the unthinkable by decimating the competition previously found in Diagon Alley for title of "Most Immersive Theme Park Area." The sights and sounds this land has to offer are unlike anything found anywhere on the planet, offering one of the most beautiful pieces of property not just in theme park entertainment, but of the entire world.

To walk through the illuminated bioluminescence is to be lost in a fantasy world, unlike anything you've ever experienced before. Tranquil. Gorgeous. Transfixing. It may sound repetitive, but nothing else can be stated. The nighttime views of Pandora: The World of Avatar rival the real world majesty of our biggest mountains and historic landmarks.

Pandora: The World of Avatar can actually be placed alongside the Eiffel Tower, the aurora borealis, and the Grand Canyon as among the most gorgeous sights our planet has to offer. To put it bluntly, there is simply nothing else on Earth like it. Period.

Conclusion

When I was a child, my imagination would conjure up the kinds of adventures I've long since accepted would never be plausible. My school backpack served as my jetpack capable of breaking the sound barrier, while boring Sunday School sermons became ground zero for lightsaber duels between Jesus and Satan.

The world was my own personal playground while my creativity became its prime architect. I handed Indiana Jones his whip when he needed to rid my closet of monsters. I swam to my pool's deep end to dig for treasure in Atlantis. I even saved the planet from nuclear holocaust when the President called to personally inform me that "there was simply nobody else brave enough to swallow this whole vitamin like a big boy."

With the exception of last week when I took advantage of turbulence on a cross-country flight to dream up a story where I had to fly the plane to safety from a 500-mile high tsunami, that sense of large-scale peril, triumph, and adventure my imagination used to hold has been lacking. Sure, I day dream quite a bit--probably even more so than someone my age should--but the dreams of The Brave Little Toaster shooting flame throwers at robot Buddha are not nearly as frequent as more important things.

I think about what my future wife is currently doing. I envision what my own personal office will look like. I even picture the children my friends will grow up to conceive. My imagination now relies more so on the emotional rather than the fantastical.

When initially announced back in 2011, the idea of an "Avatar Land" joining Disney's Animal Kingdom was a disgusting sell out to cash in on a film with ideas and concepts that contradict the legacy of the Disney brand. "Avatar" is not a film of wonderment, imagination, and fantasy, but a politically charged, cynical sci-fi war film. A land centered around that film is completely unearned and its placement in the Disney legacy is completely unjustified.

However, Disney did not set out to make an "Avatar Land." The land we had feared is not the same land we received. Pandora: The World of Avatar does not rely on guests' knowledge of the film as the land is its own separate identity.

While the film goes against nearly all of what Disney stands for, the land uses its creativity, fantasy, and adventure to inspire a story-world experience deserving of having the Disney name painted on it.

I understand the irony in being rendered so speechless by Pandora: The World of Avatar that I sought out to write about it. I also understand that even though I could write about this new addition for weeks, it simply isn't necessary.

I could fill every book on Earth with my love for this land, but no matter how good my intentions are, no amount of words could ever do it justice. This is a land where beauty reigns supreme and imagination soars the heights of banshees. Pandora: The World of Avatar evokes the familiar sense of magic the place where dreams come true is famous for, yet heightens it to an unprecedented level.

And judging by how loud the "vroom" noises I was making on my drive home were, I'd say that magic has been restored. Thanks, Pandora.