A Review of Bruno Mars' 24K Magic Album

A Review of Bruno Mars' 24K Magic Album

Mars could be the new King of Pop
148

After years of waiting since Bruno Mars last album release in 2012, the wait for new material finally ended with the release of 24K Magic on November 18th. As a diehard Mars fan (I listened to Doo-Wops and Hooligans incessantly as a young teen), I was beyond excited when the album finally released. And.....it is PERFECT. I didn't expect anything less from Mars as his smooth voice glides across this album. My only complaint is that it is a measly nine songs, and I did not wait four years for such a limited number! But alas I can't complain too much since I've listened to the album on repeat anyway. Though all the songs are quality, I thought I would rank the album so you don't have to. Here is my ranking:

9. Too Good To Say Goodbye

This is one of Mars slowest songs on the album. It is just beyond the amount of cheesiness I can take. This song is a little too 90s boy band ballad, and not in the best way. Although Mars voice still stuns with his high notes, this slow song is not for me. If I had to choose I would say it's not too good to say goodbye to.

8. Versace on the Floor

I guess I'm not a fan of the slow songs on the album as this is the only other truly slow song. This one has a catchier chorus than the previous song, but still doesn't do much for me, as it is also tacky. Mars is the only singer who can pull off this 90s sound, but the sexual innuendos throughout the song just don't have much effect.

7. Calling All My Lovelies

This smoother song has a good background beat, and has a joking manner to it with the "calling all my eesha's" lines and obvious throwback vocals. It doesn't have the same pickup as the rest of the album however, so not a danceable song. Halle Berry makes a guest appearance as Mars calls her in the song, which adds to the joking manner of the song.

6. Finesse

The first of the upbeat songs on the album I rated, Finesse has a danceable beat, but is less memorable than other songs on the album. It shows Mars "finesse" in creating an interactive dance beat however that I appreciate.

5. Straight Up and Down

The lyrics in this song are lush, bringing out throwback phrases like "freaking me". It brings the 90s smoothness in the right way, a little less intense than that of Versace on the Floor, and creates wanted nostalgia.

4. Perm

The call and response parts of this song, along with background singers make this song sure to be his next single on the album. It has the same upbeat nature of 24k magic, and is completely danceable. The cleverness of the lyrics with "throw some perm on your attitude, girl you gotta relax" are extremely catchy, no doubt everyone will be singing this one soon.

3. 24K Magic

The top single of the album, we all have heard and love. It set the tone for the rest of the album and as any good single should it is intensely catchy. The "magic" of Mars is definitely in this song, hence its namesake.

2. Chunky

This is probably the most danceable song on the album. It is hard not to groove to the beat, plus it supports body positivity. Fun fact: Bruno Mars performed this song at the Victoria's Secret Fashion show which I think was an ironic dig.

1. That's What I Like

This song combines Mars' new sound with touches of his previous album. The beat and overall feeling of decadence that comes with this song makes it number one on an album that is already high quality. Can't wait to hear more of Mars in the coming years.

Listen to the entire album here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqyT8IEBkvY&list=PLMQ_iSHkiMojpB1z5CeT2mgjS5dAEl80u