Every Track On Ariana Grande's 'Positions' Album Ranked

Ariana Grande has achieved major success with her new album and we're ranking every track.

65302

Ariana Grande surprised fans in October, tweeting that her new album was being released. What followed was yet another number one peak on the Billboard 200 albums chart. The album's title track and lead single, "Positions," also hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

With "Positions," Grande took a much more light-hearted approach than the confessional nature of its predecessor, "Thank U, Next." It was a welcome and refreshing change of pace. Now that the album has been out for a solid month, it's the perfect time to see how the songs rank.

14. "obvious"

On this track, Grande sings about the beginning stages of new love. The song takes on a cautionary feel, due to not wanting to be hurt again. This is a theme that is felt throughout the album.

13. "six thirty"

When Grande was interviewed by Zach Sang, he expressed confusion as to what "six thirty" meant. Grande explained that when it's six thirty, both hands on the clock are facing down. Hence the track's theme, asking someone if they're down to be with you.

12. "safety net" (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)

The dreamy atmosphere of this song compliments both Grande and Ty Dolla $ign's vocals perfectly. Another highlight on this track is the reference to "In My Head," a track from Grande's last album, "Thank U, Next." It's an example of the continuation of the story and, most importantly, learning from one's mistakes.

11. "west side"

It's unclear what city this song takes place in, but one can't help but think of New York City when listening to this track. The Upper West Side of Manhattan is definitely a great place to meet a guy and possibly start a new romance, as this song seems to suggest.

10. "my hair"

What makes this track stand out are the unbelievable high whistle notes Grande hits towards the end of the song. Very few singers can hit such notes and it shows why Grande is set apart from her contemporaries.

9. "nasty"

One of the more sensual tracks on the album, with quite direct lyrics. As explicit as it gets, however, there's level of class that is upheld throughout. Grande's soft and sweet vocals help the sentiment come across as genuine.

8. "love language"

This song has a strong groove to it, yet it somehow maintains its ballad status. The flirtatious nature of the track is complimented by the song's vintage yet modern instrumentation. This is a true standout on the album.

7. "34+35"

This is the album's second single and perhaps Grande's dirtiest song yet. If you add up the numbers in the song's title, it equals 69. Grande herself points this out towards the end of the song, which adds a bit of humor to the track.

6. "off the table" (feat. The Weekend)

This dreamy R&B ballad definitely puts you in a relaxed, romantic mood. The song showcases Grande and The Weekend's vocal talents in a beautiful way.

5. "just like magic"

In a way, this song feels like a sequel to "Fake Smile" from "Thank U, Next." It has directly personal lyrics similar to that track, but taking on the opposite tone. This song is about having a great day and enjoying life overall.

4. "shut up"

This was definitely the smartest choice for the album's opening track. It sets the tone and message for what's about to be heard on the rest of the album. It's not really about harping on judgmental voices, rather it's about shutting them out so you can enjoy life. This is a true anthem.

3. "motive" (feat. Doja Cat)

This song is the closest thing the album has to a dance song. Doja Cat's verse compliment's the song's groove really well and Grande's vocals glide across the track with ease. It's catchy and makes you want to move. This song needs to be the next single. It's that good.

2. "pov"

This is the album's closing track. The lyrics talk about being fulfilled in a romantic relationship. However, the song's perspective isn't relying on the affection of another for satisfaction. It talks about appreciating such affection, but engaging in self-examination to love yourself the way your partner does. It has a beautiful message that combines romance with introspection. A brilliant closer.

1. "positions"

The lead single and title track brilliantly sums up the album. It has a catchy, R&B feel with sensual undertones. The song became another well-deserved hit for Grande and continues to dominate the charts. Combine that with the video, which features an empowering vision for a new America, and you've got a match made in Heaven.