I cut down on my waste and used reusable straws for a week.

I Saved The World For A Week: Reusable Straw Edition

For one week, I saved the planet by putting down plastic straws and ONLY using reusable ones.

59
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bla5Ao4HvcH/?taken-by=watsdotcom

So, about a good three weeks ago, I was casually scrolling through my Youtube subscriptions and came across one of my favorite channels, Ladylike! If you have been living under a rock and don't know who Ladylike are, they are a collaborative channel from Buzzfeed that focus on five women; Freddie, Devin, Chantel, Kristen, and Jen. Each week, or even multiple times a week, they post content that is relevant to today's world but is also hilarious and super relatable.

Anyways, well that week, they posted a video called "I Stopped Sucking For a Week," featuring my two favorite ladies, Freddie and Devin. The basis of the video was that they decided to take part in the #StrawChallenge. This challenge was that for ONE week, both ladies had to only use reusable straws everywhere they went. Meaning, if they were out, they had to request for no straw. However, if they did receive a straw already in their drink, they have to keep it for the rest of the week to see how many total they had accumulated by the end of the challenge.

I thought this was such an interesting concept, especially with the whole Starbucks straw debacle happening right now. So, I decided to follow in Ladylike's footsteps and try the challenge out myself.

Day 1 Of No Plastic Straws

So, the first day I went out and decided to purchase some reusable straws. I made my way down to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and purchased a 4 pack of reusable stainless steel straws and then happily sipped on a smoothie the rest of the way home, very proud of my purchase.

Total Plastic Straw Count: 0

Day 2 Of No Straws... Going Strong

Day 2 was still going strong. I was like... There is no way I'm gonna use a plastic straw, I'm killing this challenge. I went to a local coffee shop to do some work on my laptop and didn't even touch a straw. I brought my own from home and popped her right into my iced vanilla latte. I went to Dairy Queen with my friends and got a water with no lid... therefore no straw either. And to kick off the evening, we got snow cones, which only included a spoon, no straw. (Yes, I realize all my friends and I do is eat).

Total Plastic Straw Count: 0

Day 3 Of No Straws... I'm So Sorry

personal

The third day of the challenge I had to work at one of my jobs that morning. I went on break and ordered a smoothie, just out of routine. Once I sat down, I realized that I had forgot to bring my own straw with me that day. I tried drinking it without one, but that lead to too many brain freezes and I opted for the plastic straw.

Total Plastic Straw Count: 1

Day 4 And You Should Be Proud

personal

I didn't work the fourth day of the challenge so, I knew Tropical Smoothie Cafe wouldn't tempt me again with their plastic straws. So, I was in the clear from that. The whole day, I was doing a great job avoiding the straw issue but that night, my family and I went to the movies so, to not set myself up for failure, I brought my own straw from home and used that for my ICEE instead of the thicker, plastic straws. Boy, did I feel proud at that moment!

Total Straw Count: 1

Day 5.... I Have This "No Straw" Thing Down To A Science

personal

Learning from my mistake on day 3, I decided to bring in my own reusable cup... THAT COMES WITH A STRAW... and use that to eliminate the use of a plastic straw and a styrofoam cup at the same time. I felt good about reducing my waste completely and bringing in my own cup to save the planet and myself this day.

Total Straw Count: 1

Day 6 Of No Straws Accidentally Worked Out

personal

Sunday was Day 6 and honestly, this was the day I was dreading. The whole week I had been able to avoid taking the straw without having to ask to exclude it. However, after church on Sunday's, my family always goes out for lunch and I was scared that the straw might come automatically in my drink of choice. That morning, we went to Cracker Barrel, and do to complete forgetfulness I ordered a lemonade.... without mentioning a straw, completely. However, when the whole table's drinks arrived, no one had a straw. I asked the waitress and she mentioned that they only hand them out upon request. So, my straw count was still only 1!

Total Straw Count: 1

Day 7 Ends On A Bad Note

personal

Day 7, my grandma and I had to do some last minute shopping for college and stopped by Tropical Smoothie Cafe for a quick treat. As I walked in, I realized that I had, once again, forgot my straw at home. But, enjoy this photo of me trying to look sorry for the plastic straw usage while drinking a Pomegranate Plunge. So, I know, the last day of the challenge and I failed. Tropical Smoothie just wouldn't give me a break, okay?

Total Straw Count: 2

By the end of this challenge, I only ended up using two plastic straws in one week! This experience made me realize how many straws I would've used but rather, I cut down on my waste. Because I work at two popular restaurants, I constantly hand out straws and in my opinion, it is not necessary. Bringing in your own straw eliminates waste and to me, makes the drink taste better. Stainless steel straws make your drink colder and because of that, take longer to drink so you aren't sucking it down in five seconds. Matter of a fact, I am drinking iced coffee at a local coffee shop this very moment with my reusable straw so, if you can tell, this challenge was very eye opening and something that I will continue to do, for hopefully, ever.