10 Things You Miss The Most When You Retire Your Pom-Poms

Once a cheerleader, always a cheerleader.

1023
Sydney Eisenberg

Let's face it, whether we like it or not, every high school athlete misses their respective sport...even if it's just a little bit. Cheerleading, however, is unlike every other sport. The sense of family, support, physical and mental strength, and passion that this sport brings is one of a kind. Whenever we weren't practicing, we were most definitely thinking about practicing and competing.

After our time as a cheerleader has come to an end, we immediately start to miss all the things that made us the people we are today. After all, they're the things that kept us sane, yet made us go insane for years.

1. Getting ready for games and competitions.

There is no better bonding experience than caking your face with makeup and putting bows in each other's hair with your best friends every Friday night after school. Game days and competition days are the best days.

2. That feeling you get when you hit a stunt.

The indescribable feeling you get when you hit a stunt is probably one of the most amazing feelings ever. Feeling successful and overwhelmed with pride and joy is something unlike anything else in cheerleading.

3. The unbreakable bond between you and your stunt group.

Your stunt group is your group of go to people during cheer season. Most of your time as a cheerleader is spent with these people whether you're running through a stunt sequence over and over to make it perfect or celebrating hitting a perfect stunt sequence. You were always able to work through any challenges together and have a successful season together!

4. Being sore after practice.

You know you've had a productive, yet tough, practice if you can barely walk to your car afterward. As painful as it can be, being sore can be such a rewarding feeling.

5. Cheer camp

As dreadful as it was, cheer camp was a great way to bond as a team. Looking back, I'm very thankful that I was able to go somewhere with my team to better our skills and relationship.

6. Friday night lights.

My favorite part of high school was game days. There is simply nothing I would want to do more other than cheer on the football team and be with my favorite people every week.

7. Band and quarter dances.

I think that my whole team can agree that the best part about home games is doing a dance in between each quarter and whenever the band played a song. This is when we would have the most fun at games!

8. Psyches.

Every Friday where there was a game, our team would dress up according to a theme. And let me tell you, walking around school looking so weird with your team is probably one of the funniest things you'll do.

9. The long bus rides.

Whether you want to believe it or not, driving long distances with your team is one of the most fun things ever. Blasting music and singing every word to whatever song comes on next will be the most cherished and remembered times as a cheerleader.

10. Knowing you met some of your best friends for life through a sport.

I'm forever thankful for the amazing people I met through cheerleading. I'm lucky enough to still be very close with a number of the people I cheered with in high school.