My Response To: "Why I Didn't Rush"

My Response To: "Why I Didn't Rush"

There is more to me than the letters I wear across my chest.

58
My Response To: "Why I Didn't Rush"
Srat

Before you read my article I encourage you to read the two the original author wrote:
Why I Didn't Rush | My Own Response to "Why I Didn't Rush"

As a member of Greek Life myself I tend not to voice my opinion on the matter because things are always skewed and those who are involved know exactly what I mean when I say that. People have this negative approach to Greek Life because of the way it is portrayed in TV shows and movies. Newsflash, not everything you see in the media is true. People assume Greek members do nothing except drink, party and hangout with only other Greeks and I can tell you that is 100% false. I have friends that are both involved and those who are not. If you know me personally your jaw would drop when I mentioned I was part of a sorority because based on the incompetent slander, like that found in Lorena's article, that follows the Greek community and because I am not a "sorority girl." My personality would not fit well, or so I thought, and that was a main reason I didn't want to rush. Going through recruitment was like nothing I had never experienced and something no one could really prepare you for. For some it works out and for some they realize it isn't for them which is cool too.

1. I knew I didn't belong.

This entire article is the most idiotic thing I've ever laid my eyes on, how would you know you didn't belong if you never ever gave yourself the chance to experience it FIRST HAND? There is not a "type" of girl that decides to rush, girls rush for any number of reasons: to start fresh, to meet people, to get involved, to carry on a legacy, etc. I think you've been watching one too many movie portrayals of Greek life because being blonde is not a requirement, hence I'm a brunette. Each chapter chooses women based on who the chapter feels will best fit and uphold their values. If you are an incoming freshman and you are nervous or want to meet new people rushing is an incredible place to start, you may find your forever home in a chapter of women who will mold you for the rest of your life. I hangout with predominantly guys and it has always been that way because I just mesh better with them, so when I rushed all I could think about was how am I going to get along with that many women? The answer is easy, the sorority I was placed in gave me some of the most incredible friends I could have ever had, without joining I probably would never have met any of them and for that I am so thankful. Just because you think you don't belong doesn't mean that you don't, don't knock it till you try it.

2. Sorority moms.

I got a nice laugh out of this one. No one in my family as ever gone Greek, I was not a legacy, my parents had no idea what I was doing or why I decided to do it but they did support my decision. My mom works and has my siblings to worry about she doesn't go out to lunch and gossip with her friends nor does she go out and spend money on random shopping sprees, in fact she rarely spends money on herself. My thing is, why bring them into this? Some girls are legacies, others are not and regardless they made their OWN choice to rush for whatever reason. I am an independent woman, my parents are a huge reason for that. It was MY choice to rush and I would do it all over again.

3. The money.

She had one thing right, college is expensive–yes. My parents did not and have not paid a dime of my dues so when I chose to rush I knew I would be taking on a huge responsibility with my time and financially. Greek life spends hundreds of hours collecting and raising money for their philanthropies as well as helping other chapters raise money for theirs. When you were younger and played sports I can guarantee that was far more expensive than sorority dues but your parents did not complain, they paid for it because you enjoyed it. If you don't want them to take the financial hit there are ways to work around it, I promise. And no, I don't pay for my friends.

4. College was a clean slate.

College is a clean slate, you get to recreate yourself and you soon become the person you were meant to be. Going Greek does not define you, it does not make or break you but it could help guide you. In high school I was taking AP classes sophomore, junior and senior year. I played sports, I was involved in multiple organizations and was editor of the yearbook staff for two years. I moved 2,000 miles away to a place I knew one person. Arizona State has well over 80,000 students and I knew ONE. College is supposed to be the best four years of your life but if you live a life where you restrict yourself from becoming who you're meant to be they could easily become the worst four years of your life. Perspective is everything.

5. The social gatherings were a 'nah.'

You are not required to attend formals, mixers or date parties. They're a way for people to get to know each other. Tailgates are social gatherings, welcome week is full of social gatherings, college is one big social gathering. Sports teams host social gatherings and parties all the time, how else do you think people get to each other? The whole "Sounds like a ball of fun if I weren't taking 18 hours of classes and trying to keep a perfect GPA" is garbage, if you know how to manage your time you can do so much. There is no "expectation of being a sorority girl" you are held to higher standards because you represent yourself and not only the women in your chapter but the women who have and will continue to represent the letters on your chest. You are always wearing your letters.

6. The process of rushing.

This is a stressful week for everyone involved, especially having been on both sides. Yes you are ranked and that is by no means saying you are not good enough, it is simply saying you do not mesh well with the women. You could be best friends, but maybe your GPA was not up to their requirements or maybe you decided you liked another house more or maybe you just don't see yourself being part of Greek life which is okay as long as you made that decision yourself not because someone tried to talk you out of it. Rush week is so stressful but I promise you it is worth it come bid day.

7. The stigma.

The stigma that surrounds Greek life is solely because of people exactly like you, Lorena. There is more to me than the letters I wear, I am notmy letters and those letters do not define me but they did help shape me and I am forever grateful for that. Fraternities and sororities are far more than houses full of binge drinking college students, it's a place of acceptance and the feeling of home. That is the message you should be getting not the ones you see in movies.

8. Time Commitment.

The original paragraph under this statement made me lol. Time commitment is not the issue at hand, it is time management. The most important thing you could ever teach yourself is how to manage your time effectively and efficiently. There are only 24 hours in a day which gives you 168 hours a week. You spend most of that in class or at work. I would know because I managed 18 hour semesters, 40+ hour work weeks all while maintaining a near perfect GPA being enrolled in the honors college and setting myself up to graduate a year early. By all means that has not been easy but it is possible so do not listen to people who tell you that it is not because I am living proof that it is and you could be too. I got into every law school I applied to, I've worked my ass off to be where I am and for the first time in my life I can say I am proud of myself. I don't know where I would be if I didn't rush.

The original article was entirely spent bashing Greek life and not once did she mention the incredible experiences one gets. She didn't tell you about the community service work you do, or the study hours, or the sisterhood retreats, or having dozens of shoulders to cry on, or the insane amount of appreciation you get from being part of something that is far bigger than yourself. Going Greek is something I'm so glad I did and not everyone feels that way which is okay too. She chose not to rush because of things she saw and heard, she did not experience any of it herself. If you are an incoming college freshman and you are on the edge about rushing, do it anyway. You could go through and find yourself a home who will make your college experience more than you could have imagined or you could end up hating it. If you choose not to rush then rock on, that is totally okay and we do not look down on you for making your choice but we do ask that you do not look down on us because of the route we chose. College is what you make it, you are an adult and it's time to live your life.