In Response To Nationwide Protests, Poland Will Not Enact All-Out Abortion Ban

Through protest and strikes, Polish women have taught their government "a lesson in humility."

14
Andrzej Grygiel/EPA

Legislation suggesting an all out ban on abortion, including instances of rape, incest, and danger to the mother or fetus, was met with protest in Poland this past Monday. Activists for the cause flooded the streets of several Polish cities to show their disdain for the proposed law, which would include punishments as severe as jail time for both women and doctors who choose to go forward with abortion, no matter the circumstances. Hoards of mainly women and some men opposing this law gathered in the streets Monday, holding black umbrellas over the heads in protest. Many chose to show their support for the cause by going on strike and boycotting workplaces and schools throughout the country.

Protesters throughout the country were also seen carrying wire hangers, a symbol of the illegal and dangerous abortions that have occurred in times and places where clinical abortions have been outlawed. During the 1950s and 60s, an estimate of 200,000 to 1.2 million illegal abortions occurred in the United States alone. Prior to 1973, states held the power to outlaw abortions except in cases where the life of the mother was in danger. The Roe vs. Wade supreme court case ruled that it was unconstitutional for states to outlaw or regulate abortions during the first trimester. Before this decision, an estimated 5,000 American women died annually as a result of illegal and unsafe abortions. Today, abortions are primarily performed by licensed doctors and the death rate is extremely low, at only .06 per 100,000 procedures.

Poland has historically had one of the strictest abortion policies in the world. Since 1993, abortions have been banned, except in instances of rape, incest, fetal defects, or dangers to the life of the mother. An approval by two doctors is required for an abortion, although many physicians refuse the request. Poland is a primarily Catholic nation, so much of the opposition to abortions rights is religiously charged. Since the law was passed, abortions have dropped significantly. However, the business of underground abortions and “abortion tourism” in neighboring countries has grown. A long history of restrictive abortion rights and encouragement of unsafe procedures, explains the unrest among women who now face the possibility of an all-out abortion ban.

This proposed law threatens the already compromised safety of pregnant women who are faced with the incredible difficult decision of abortion. Some experts are predicting that this ban could result in women being imprisoned for miscarriages if they cannot prove they were not induced. In addition, because doctors would be held accountable as well, some are insinuating that physicians will be afraid to intervene in abnormal pregnancies, such as ectopic pregnancies, where the fertilized egg begins growing outside the uterus - this is almost always fatal to fetuses and is extremely dangerous for mothers.

As of Wednesday morning, the protests and strikes throughout the country have been successful - the Polish government will not move forward with the abortion ban. A member of the largely conservative government described the protests as “a lesson in humility.” Though there is still a long way for Poland to go in terms of the liberalization of women’s reproductive health care, these protests are a testament to the coming change being demanded by the women of Poland. There is a proven power in banding together and standing up to oppressive institutions for a common cause. As a whole, we can learn a lot about the impact of protest from the people of Poland and continue to stand with them from abroad as they continue fight for less restrictive and safer reproductive rights.