To The Girl Who Doesn't Understand Feminism

To The 18-Year-Old Girl Who Will Never Be A Feminist, It's Never Too Late To Educate Yourself

There's nothing cute about self-hatred.

33
Lindsey Lamont

To the author of "I'm An 18-Year-Old And I Will Never Be A Feminist,"

This wouldn't be the first time I wrote a response to one of your many problematic articles. However, I find your article insulting feminists to be particularly problematic.

First of all, feminists don't get "triggered" when men tell them to have a good day. That's not feminism, that's ridiculous.

Also, calling boys "stupid" and saying you're "better than 90% of males" is called misandry, which you seem to be confusing with feminism which is built on equality.

Boys are not stupid, girls are not stupid, and nobody is better than anyone else.

To continue, I don't know if you're aware of this (which I'm pretty sure you're not), but men and women are not paid equally. Does that even remotely bother you?

As of 2016, it was estimated that men earned an average of $10,000 more than women per year. That's not even taking race into consideration.

While the average annual income for White men was $57,925, the average for White women was $45,721.

For Black women, the average was $36,192. For Hispanic women, the average was $31,522.

Newsflash: men and women are equal, but we are not treated as such.

Similarly, if you're so concerned about not being able to lift a 190-pound man, train harder.

Yes, I'm aware there are biological differences between men and women. So what? That doesn't mean we get to treat people who are different from us as less than.

My body is biologically different from a male body. Similarly, my body is also biologically different a cystic fibrosis patient's body as cystic fibrosis is caused by a genetic mutation.

That doesn't mean they're not my equal. Different does not mean unequal.

We are not better or worse than one another. We are just different.

Do you also believe racial/ethnic minority members are unequal to racial majority members simply because of "differences"?

How about sexual orientation minorities or those who don't identify along the gender binary? Oh wait, you already covered that in your other problematic article about there "only being 2 genders". My bad.

Macey, you can do better. I understand you're young and you're still learning, but ignorance is no longer an excuse.

We have access to all the online information our teachers hid from us. We can educate ourselves through classes, the Internet and talking with others who have had different experiences than us.

You have the opportunity to better yourself. I suggest you take it.