A Response To 'Why I Didn't Rush'

A Response To 'Why I Didn't Rush'

It really isn't for everyone, but it was for me.

132
A Response To 'Why I Didn't Rush'
Katherine Craig

Recently, a student at UT wrote an Odyssey article titled 'Why I Didn't Rush', which is totally fine.

What wasn't fine were some of her arguments against rushing. Author Lorena Roberts starts by describing how it seemed people sort of expected her to rush before going to school, which she wasn't planning on. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, I really don't.

However, she then shares a list of items for why she didn't rush and wouldn't if she went back in time, and concludes the introduction with, "Maybe this will help a soon-to-be freshman girl decide which side of the line she'll fall on."

So, the first point alone shows the "side of the line" that Roberts is on. The side with people who don't own wedges or a white lace dress. The women who don't do Zumba with their friends. The women who aren't rail skinny, and the women who don't drink.

It's funny. I know quite a few women like that. In my sorority. My sorority of only a few dozen people. I know quite a few women like that. (We do all have white dresses, but they're not all lace.) In fact, other than the wedges (which I love), that describes me.

Then there's the point about sorority moms. Roberts writes of how her mom likes to do things outdoors and is always busy. Her mom "doesn't spend her days at lunch with her girlfriends, shopping and spending tons of money, gossiping and socializing, or begging me to do anything." Funny, that also describes my mom. Sure, Roberts does admit not all are like that, which I really appreciate, and I'm sure there are mothers that are like that. But, sorority moms aren't really a reason not to join a sorority – in my opinion, at least. You can choose to not be in a sorority where the mothers are like that.

Now, Roberts brings up money. That'a decent point, and it is something to be conscious of. So is her next point, "College was a clean slate." It is a nice idea to not be thrown into a group of people soon after you become a college student. BUT there is the option of waiting a semester/year to rush (depending on your school). That's really important to keep in mind. Roberts talked about not wanting to have to always act like she's rich and happy all the time. My sorority sure doesn't act like that, though. I don't think anyone really wants to always talk about that. It sounds tiring.

But, college is a clean slate, no matter what. If you join a sorority, you're choosing to be a part of a group of like-minded women. Plus, newsflash, if you do join a sorority you can be friends with women that are in other ones. Or even SORORITY GIRLS HAVE FRIENDS THAT AREN'T IN GREEK LIFE AND VISE VERSA *GASP!*

As for the social gatherings, you don't have to go to them. But, if you're worried about grades or time, and still do want to attend "socials," you are a smart woman, and can manage your time. In fact, more often than not, having good grades are part of being in a sorority.

Another decent point Roberts makes is the fact the process of rushing "Sounded like it freaking sucks." In my small school we don't have a huge rush, so it sounds scary to me too. But, there are women who love it. There are women who go through it each year and hate it, but put up with it. It's just part of the process.

However, then we get into the dark again. "The stigma." Roberts talks about what future employers might thing. I've thought about that too, and talked to many professionals about it. Just a few weeks ago I asked, "Is President of [my sorority] something I should keep on my resume for every company, or should I remove it?" And I was immediately reassured that positions like that really do look great and show responsibility. Sororities offer so many opportunities to get involved. SO. MANY. I feel that our council is always working on finding sisters to help us with things. So, there are so many chances to show your responsibility. And, if for some reason you aren't proud of it, you don't have to bring it up.

And, I can hardly even get started in the network that you become a part of. I've meet so many sisters from all over the country, and made amazing connections. My sorority even has a Facebook "group" which has posts about everything from roommate listings t-shirts to selling house supplies.

But then we go back to a good point – time. It is a time commitment. I would never tell you it isn't. But, you do get what you give, regardless of your sorority. And, I am sure you will have sisters to help you with whatever you need.

Roberts ends with sharing that she has friends who rushed and loved it. And I am so glad they had good experiences, and I am sad Roberts doesn't have a good image of Greek life. In the comments, a woman named Madison McCoy said, "it's completely ignorant to stereotype over 750,000 and counting Greek life members based on whatever negative experience you've had. "

It sounds like Roberts wouldn't have really enjoyed the amazing parts of being in a sorority, which is fine, and I'm glad she's happy with her decision. But, I hope women remember that stereotypes about Greek life – good or bad – don't matter compared to what they themselves feel.