The People Behind the Wheel Matter Too
Travel

The People Behind the Wheel Matter Too

As Uber announces consequences to passengers with low ratings, it is time we learn respect for the people that drive us from place to place.

120
https://www.pexels.com/photo/uber-smartphone-iphone-app-34239/
Pexels.com

"Uber for Brooke?"

You get in the car, pull out your phone and begin to scroll through your Instagram feed until you get to your destination. When the driver asks simple questions, you answer with short responses or even with an impolite comment. You completely disregard the human being behind the wheel.

Although a quiet drive isn't something to report, riders definitely take advantage of their drivers and disrespect them and their property. Most people never think about the way they act during their ride, why would they? It is just a way to go from place to place? Well, Uber drivers are not the only ones that are rated from 1 to 5 at the end of the trip, riders are also given a rating. Up until now, our score didn't matter much, but an accumulation of low ratings could have more implications than just a loss of bragging rights. Uber just announced that passengers could lose their riding privileges if their rating is too low. This consequence strays further than just the Uber app itself, if riders go way below the rating average they could lose the access to Uber Eats app or its e-scooter Jump app.

"Respect is a two-way street, and so is accountability. Drivers have long been expected to meet a minimum rating threshold which can vary city to city."
-Kate Parker, Uber's head of safety brand and initiatives

The drivers behind the wheel that drive you from your house to your friend's house, are people. They are people that use Uber as a way to make a living or make a start for themselves. Their car is their office and we all expect respect in our offices. Drivers like Alireza, a man who moved to Los Angelos to start up his own company only to lose his business to competitors and was forced into bankruptcy. Uber is the only thing Alireza has to pay the pills and avoid poverty. Or Biola, a mother of three that was forced to leave her abusive husband and has to live in a homeless shelter. She uses Uber to support her children, the job has made her feel "liberated."

By showing respect and kindness, you are rewarded with a higher rating. Take this initiative as a wake-up call. Take it and become more aware of your actions. Take it and be kind, it will come back to you one day.