Keep it classy.

respect is gained through class, not a**

It's time to realize your personality has more to offer than your bikini selfies.

111

Dear ladies of 2018,

Let this be the year we agree that accepting ourselves means more than being satisfied with the amount of likes our bikini bod pictures receive on Instagram. Do not be alarmed - I am not writing to tell you that beach-themed snaps, nor confidence in general, are off the table. I am so proud of every woman who has the courage and self-assurance to comfortably express her image, whether that be in-person or online.

But, there is a fine line between flaunting self respect and flashing hungry followers.

It's about time to stop, put a T-shirt on, and take a look at the bigger screenshot.

Seeing daily posts of girls who ridiculously pose themselves to catch the widest angles of their butt cheeks is a little odd, to say the least. Even in Florida, where skimpy outfits can sometimes be the most practical options under the summer sun, I would be genuinely embarrassed to be caught in the scenes that seem to be trending lately. It is much easier to take casual photos with friends than it is to contort each others' bodies for ten minutes to look the part of "Instagram models". Not only would relatives, as well as any older adults with respect for you, be uncomfortable, but employers would be shocked to see the effort put into advertising your own promiscuous online presence. Although work ethic is clearly present, all professionalism flies out the window upon seeing try-hard unclothed young women looking for quick fixes of self-assurance.

Be proud of yourselves. Publish your greatest achievements, best friends, and biggest adventures without taking your clothes off. Post bikini selfies at the beach like a normalperson rather than someone trying to be recruited for Playboy. This is the best time to stand out on social media - not by outdoing the competition, but by taking the higher road.

In a society where ladies are breaking ceilings and pushing boundaries, we should have enough security and appreciation for our bodies that we don't feel the need to compete for attention nor make others jealous. I believe that every woman deserves respect not only from within but from those around her.

To kick off these last six months, let's stop objectifying ourselves before anyone else has the chance to think otherwise.