Research Papers

Research Papers

Is it worth it?

7
Research Papers

We all know research papers aren't the best thing, but are they even useful?

Back in grade school we all joked about how a few things we learned proved irrelevant in our lives. We spent weeks learning things for state test that we don't necessarily need to know.

Granted, if you are a geometrical genius, you'd probably need to know parallelograms; that portion would be useful for you. What about the rest of the class? I mean, I'm as thankful as the rest of them that I was blessed enough to get a free public education, but did it prepare me for life outside of grade school?

We have been set up to pay someone to file our taxes cause we have no earthly idea. Then we STILL have to owe thousands of dollars to the IRS.

PEMDAS can not, will not- most defiantly wont ever be able to change a tire on the side of the interstate, but thanks for telling me I needed to know this cause I might not always have a calculator.

The same can be said for research papers. Its usually the main project of the class, but in all honesty, once you are in your career, no one is going to sit and read through 15 pages of boogie wording. You might be able to set up a presentation to hit your high points. English majors. I'm sorry. there isn't any getting around your papers.

Lets say you are an engineering major, you go into your core class and have to write a research paper on the difference between two short stories that a professor lovingly picked out for you to read. Do we really think that engineers will write papers to describe what they'd like to build? Instead of blue prints, they have APA style black prints?

All in all, at the end of the day, are research papers worth it. Do research papers build everyone up for their career?

The answer would be:

Nah fam, they don't.