Why I Support The Special Olympics And People With Special Needs

Accept people for who they are, not what they have.

51
Alivia Howard

Not many people are focused on those who have special needs. Some inconsiderate people mock those who have a special need, rather than try to talk to them. We are all unique in our own ways so why not give them the time of day? Instead of mocking them or calling them names, try to talk to them. I have spent a lot of my time with those who have special needs, mostly in Special Olympics, and they are the sweetest people I know.

If you did not know, Special Olympics is a worldwide organization that brings awareness to the athletic abilities of people with mental, as well as, physical disabilities. These people have a disability and should not be called rude names, such as the R word. The R word is quite offensive, especially because people who have a disability may have been born with it. A disability is something that you can be born with or grow into having. The person who has the disability may not have wanted it but they have to deal with it and they do. They have their highs and lows but they still go on with their day. They go through a lot more than we think they do so try putting yourself in their shoes before you try to talk them down and define them a certain way.

One thing I will not stand for is when people call those with special needs the R word. I will not say this word because I refuse to and will not tolerate hearing it. I tend to hear people say it when someone is ‘acting’ dumb, but there are other words that can be said. Another time I hear people use it is when they see someone who has a special need.

The R word is derogatory and you would not use it. I do not care if you know someone who has a special need or not, do not label them like that. Words are constantly being added to the dictionary, do not use the R word. Every time I hear someone say it, I cringe and immediately call them out on it. I ask them to say another word next time instead of that word.

March 1st was the Spread the Word to End the Word campaign to pledge to end saying the R word. In high school, I was part of the Special Olympics club and took part in the annual Polar Plunge to support Special Olympics New York (SONY). I spent a lot of time volunteering at events they held and could not have been happier. At the Polar Plunge, I ran into freezing cold water and raised money to support Special Olympics.

I highly recommend doing this at least once in your life. It may be freezing cold outside, and the water may be even colder, but you will be surrounded by positive people who all running into the cold water for the same reason. The bonds I created with athletes, such as Mary and Doug, will not be forgotten. Both have special needs and both have competed in tournaments. They do not allow their disabilities to stop them from doing things that are "normal"’ The athletes who are part of Special Olympics are incredible. They can actually play a lot more sports than I can and they have amazing sportsmanship. They all deserve a standing ovation for not allowing anything to stop them from doing what they want to.

There can be people we know who have a disability and you may not even know it. Some disabilities are harder to see than others. Just because you do not see it does not mean that they do not have one. I did not write this for you to feel sympathy but to bring awareness. You may not notice yourself saying the R word but others do and they might not like it, so please do not make fun of them for standing up for those who have a disability. I hope that after reading this, you will not say the R word and will go on r-word.org to pledge.

Thank you, Saint Joseph Hill Academy, specifically Mrs. Gaudet & Mrs. Mayrose, for allowing me to be part of the Spread the Word campaign in high school.