Embrace Your Anxiety, Replace Fear With Enthusiasm

What if we used our understanding of anxiety to translate that fear of the uncertain to enthusiasm, as it produces the same exact feeling?

233
https://www.pexels.com/photo/carefree-child-childhood-countryside-259704/

One of the most common feelings individuals struggle with is anxiety.

A lot of people have such severe anxiety that it becomes a disorder; while some people experience anxiety less frequently in their lives, but still enough to be able to recognize the feeling.

Anxiety is a feeling that can be hard to define. Google has two general definitions of anxiety. One is "a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome." The other is "a desire to do something, typically accompanied by unease."

The first definition focuses on worry, while the second one focuses on desire. Both of these feelings contribute to anxiety. Anxiety occurs when you are scared, nervous, excited, enthusiastic, uneasy, and more.

The feeling we associate with anxiety is often the negative connotations; the worry and the fear. Rightfully so, as that is what we know. However, knowing that the same feeling is also associated with excitement and enthusiasm can help us feel less fearful when approaching uncertainty or unease.

Think back to when you were younger and approaching the first day of school. Do you remember the feeling on that very first morning? It was a strange feeling, for me, at least. I remember hearing the two mixed perceptions that day.

"I'm scared to go back."

"I'm excited to go back."

Knowing what I know now, I can see most people were feeling anxiety that day, while some translated it to fear, and others excitement. Personally, I had always been confused by that feeling because of the uneasiness, but I remembered the excitement I held at the same time.

I had the same feeling I had on Christmas Eve. I had so much anxiety in me that it was hard to sleep but easy to wake up. It is a hard concept to explain, but having experienced it makes it completely understandable.

Those who are familiar with anxiety will understand the horror of the fear we feel. But what if we used our understanding of anxiety to translate that fear of the uncertain to enthusiasm, as it produces the same exact feeling?

Think of that big presentation you have coming up for a class or for your work. The thought of it can sometimes get your heart racing due to normal anxiety; talking and presenting in front of others often will give us adrenaline and cause anxiety. Now, when we feel this, we normally become fearful.

"I don't want to present."

"I'm nervous."

You hear this all the time before an event as such. Though, to give us the most confidence, we can use that feeling we have inside and translate it to the excitement.

"I can't wait to present!"

"I'm so excited!"

It all feels the same; it is just how we express ourselves.

Of course, it is hard to do, as our minds are programmed to think in our own ways. Though, if you can train your mind to replace fear with enthusiasm whenever you feel that sense of anxiety, you will find just how much easier your life can become.