Remembering Tyler Skaggs

Remembering Tyler Skaggs

We love you, No. 45.

16
Remembering Tyler Skaggs
Photo by Patricia Vicente

In the early afternoon hours of Monday, July 1st, Tyler Skaggs was found unresponsive in his hotel room in Southlake, Texas. He would then be pronounced dead at the scene.

As a lifelong Angels fan, nothing hurt more than hearing that one of our star pitchers had passed away. I remember reading messages from my friends and just going into this shock of disbelief.

The following hours after were filled with lots of refreshing of Twitter and reminiscing about the Skaggs on my team.

I even came to the realization that I had seen Skaggs pitch in person more often than I realized and smiled about the time he made sure to sign for the little kid next to me after a Spring Training practice.

Skaggs was a "hometown" boy from Santa Monica and according to many journalists, was "looking forward to pitching at Dodgers Stadium later this month [July]."

It was hard to see was my team play the next day and hold a minute of silence before taking on the Texas Rangers.

All across the dugout, my favorite players were tearing up and had swollen eyes like if they haven't slept in weeks.

However, the hardest thing came after the game was long over and the players decided to have a press conference after the game.

Look it up, it's seven minutes long and can be found on Twitter. One simply can't watch it without choking up.

It made me emotional not because of Skaggs, but because of the fact that the team that has often helped me forget about the bad times and given me happiness, was broken.

As a sports fan, you often look to sports to offer and escape. Whether it's a sport or team. It can help you forget about that negative feeling you have, even if it's for a couple of hours, and all you worry about is this game. Even if it's for a short time.

My team was suffering and were now leaning on each other and the baseball community to get through this. They weren't going to face this alone. Because when you give it your all to make other people feel better, they will be there to lift you up through the bad times.

And even though we have another Angel looking down on us, we will never forget our No. 45.