5 Things To Remember On Your Weight-Loss Journey

Fitness isn't about perfection.

466

For 2018, I resolved to get into shape.

I recognize how cliched of a resolution this is — nearly 45% of adults in the US make fitness goals every New Years. And while it is very easy to fall off the resolution wagon, I have been wholeheartedly determined to keep myself on track. I have monitored my calorie intake, decreased my portion sizes, tried to eat a varied diet, and worked really hard to make it to the gym five days a week.

I have been dedicated, but I am also human and forming new habits is harder than it seems. So while I am continuously working toward keeping my resolution, I am learning some things along the way. (With gifs of cute animals eating food, because why not?)

1. Keeping track of calories can help you understand food in a new way, but it can also be very frustrating

Whether you're using MyFitnessPal or good old fashioned pen and paper, keeping track of calories can help you understand which meals are giving you the most energy and how much you're burning at the gym. But knowing exactly how many calories are in the 1/2 cup of mushrooms that you added to your omelet can be tedious.

The most important thing that calorie counting can provide is an insight into your relationship with food, and where you can make some much-needed changes.

2. "Healthy" eating isn't about restricting yourself, but rather about making a lifestyle change

Choosing to change your eating habits is important - whether you want to cut back on the amount of bread and pasta your consume or you're looking to reduce your sugar intake, a healthy diet is less about limiting yourself and more about changing your habits.

It's okay to eat pasta for dinner, but rather than stuffing your face full of penne alfredo, cut the normal amount you make in half and replace it with leafy greens or a lean protein. Do some research on portion sizes and eat a varied diet. It's okay to eat pizza for dinner, but maybe limit yourself to two slices instead of four.

3. Find a fitness routine you enjoy, and track your progress by inches lost, not pounds

You don't have to hit the weight machines or run five miles every day. If a strict strength training and cardio routine is your jam, then go for it. If you find that lifting 10 lb weights and running on a treadmill to be mind-numbingly dull, take a Zumba class or sign up for hot yoga.

You shouldn't have to align yourself with other people's notions of fitness, and a crowded gym can be a buzz kill. So, as long as it gets your body moving and your heart pumping, then it's perfect for you.

4. Be realistic about your expectations and give yourself a break

If you expect yourself to lose 10 pounds in one month, at the end of those four weeks, you're gonna be frustrated with yourself and your body. Seek to make smaller, more attainable goals and reward yourself each time you reach one.

Did you go to the gym five days in a row for two weeks straight? Call up your girlfriends for a night out. Did you meet your calorie goals every day this week? Go out for some ice cream with your S/O. By giving yourself little milestones to reach, you'll be able to better track your progress and you'll start to feel a lot better about yourself.

5. It's okay to take a day off from the gym and give into your cravings — fitness isn't about perfection

Life can get pretty stressful. Between work and school, and trying to manage a social life, it's easy to get run down pretty quickly. And while exercise can help boost your energy and reduce stress, it can also be hard to find the motivation to head to that 7:30 cardio kickboxing class. Sometimes, you just need to mow down some mac n' cheese and binge watch Grey's Anatomy. That's OK.

Mental health is just as important to your overall well-being as hitting the gym and eating a balanced diet. Give yourself a couple days cheat days every week to eat junk food and never leave the couch. Fitness isn't about perfection — it's about taking small steps every day to become a healthier person.

And at the end of the day, isn't that the most important?