Remember To Hit The Snooze Button

Remember To Hit The Snooze Button

Just keep swimming, but don't forget to go with the flow.

20
Remember To Hit The Snooze Button
oneperfectshotdb

Often, I lounge around day dreaming about how life would be easier if I was just grass, but then I also realize that grass gets its fair share of misery brought on by us, humans, and other types of predators. If grass could produce thoughts, they would perhaps be in constant panic of getting trampled over by the soles of our gigantic feet, or worse, murdered in plain sight by the lawn mower, once again thanks to us.

Luckily us humans do not have to worry about what grass has to go through on the daily. We have the brilliant brain and amazing limbs called legs in order to walk away from our problems, but we tend to shut down and forget that we are capable to pause whatever is happening and take a break.

As much as I admire the brain, it makes our lives complicated. It makes us superior to anything else on earth, yet we tend to make counterproductive decisions when we lose our control over it.

Our brains tend to get overwhelmed even when you are not aware. As a college student, many times while peacefully studying for an exam my brain veers to go off track and tell me that I did not retain a drop of information. Of course, I start to doubt myself and go into panic mode and start calculating my grade. It is difficult to stop yourself from going down hill at this point but you need to take time and reinforce yourself that you will do well. Learn how to give yourself a pep talk and take as many breaks as you need to. Watch videos of adorable kittens if you have to, calm down the silly brains of ours. Sadly, we were not made to sit, focus, and study for 24 hours.

From observations, most of us either live in the past or the future during the present. We are always wondering how everything would be different if we did something else or how something will turn out in the future. Our mind loves to wander off to the “if” in life. We get wound up in all these thoughts and assume we are heading towards a dead end of constant failures. In the end, we are all going to be OK because we are in charge and none of us will let ourselves fail because we are made to keep going on.

I like to believe that there is some good in people, but the reality is that most of the people you will bump into your life will not be. Life is about surviving yourself. A lot of people are going to be walking towards you, with not the best intentions, but it is up to you to recognize that those people are not for you and eventually will come across people that deserve your company and friendship. Do not panic and sit alone in your room thinking you have no one there for you. Everyone can at least name one good friend and it could be your mother. As cliché as this sounds, quality over quantity.

We are all constantly seeking acceptances in many ways. Some of us are waiting for our college acceptances and others in the LGBT community are waiting to be accepted by their own family members and friends, etc. No matter what you are waiting for to be accepted, it is easy to lose yourself in the chaos of the waiting or the anger of the rejection. However, this is not the end. Pause, and leave the negative thoughts aside, try again, or move on. There are countless opportunities in the world -- you have to go reach for it all.

Do not let yourself get stuck in one place, thought, idea or mindset. Recall the last time you were furious about something whether it was at yourself or involving someone else. Were you outraged for the rest of your life? No, because you will get over it in a few minutes because your brain will not let you stress over one aspect for the rest of your life, unless of course if you chose to be stubborn and hold a grudge. This is what you need to do with any situation in life. Everything is temporary. Sit down, pause, and move on. If you cannot at that moment, give yourself more time.

If the alarm goes off, it does not mean you have to.