Life Gets Busy, Here Are 6 Things to Remember So That You Smile More

I recently made this list of everything I wanted to remind myself, on the good days and the bad.

147
Hannah Stumbo

Things to remember? I can barely even remember my own phone number, let alone a whole list of tips and tricks.

I know, life gets busy and you get tired. But I recently made this list of everything I wanted to remind myself, on the good days and the bad. I started writing everything out and my list kept getting longer and longer. I taped it to my mirror and made a point to read it every morning in hopes of becoming less aware of my struggles and more aware of the person I wanted to be.

After weeks of doing this, I found my sarcastic comments, complaining, and even my stresses begin to lessen. I smiled more and at the end of the day, I actually felt fulfilled. Now, this may seem a little trivial to some but I can promise if you start your own "things to remember list" it may be longer than you had anticipated, and may influence you in ways you hadn't predicted.

Here are some of my favorite reminders that I choose to live by...

1. Listen to people, stop talking so much

We're all guilty of it, getting too eager to talk about ourselves and end up forgetting to ask how THEIR day was. I love talking don't get me wrong but the more you listen, the more you learn. It's important to make everyone feel like they're somebody and when you take the time to genuinely listen to someone you are unconsciously reminding them that they're important, they're enough. As cheesy as it sounds, sometimes all someone may need is an empathetic ear and an open heart.

2. Find something to talk about other than drama

Along with the topic of conversation... keep drama out of it. It's so easy to get caught up in it. Although you may not be apart of the drama, you talking about it makes you just as guilty. It's an easy topic conversation when there seems to be an awkward silence (sad, but true). Fill that void with something else, seriously even the classic weather conversation would suffice.

In today's media-filled world there is always a temptation to make a sly comment about Becky's latest Snapchat story or Facebook post. As you lessen those innocent, but drama-related conversations you'll have so many more genuine encounters. We all need more of that, right?

3. Be someone your mom is proud of

When I'm on my own, this reminder really hits home for me. It reminds me of who I am and who I want to be someday. I want to become someone that makes all her sacrifices, struggles, and selflessness worth it. We all hopefully have a person who has inspired us, someone who makes us want to be better not for ourselves, but for them.

4. Take care of yourself, your body is a temple

...But I promise that late night Taco Bell won't matter too much. You should be cautious about what you put into your body, but don't deprive yourself of all the things you enjoy. Pay attention to your body and what it needs. After all, you only get one.

5. Take lots of pictures, but don't get so caught up that you miss the moment

I love photographs. I love taking them and having them to look back on. But I often found that I wouldn't enjoy myself until I got that perfect shot. Pictures are so much fun until they become a distraction to everything happening around you. That perfect pose on Instagram will come and go, but that moment may just pass you by.

6. That test doesn't define your intelligence

This is something I have to remember a little too often. Numbers and percentages will never define you. Don't allow them to discourage you, but rather push you to do better. When those numbers come back and leave you feeling disappointed, work harder but know that those numbers could never encompass all you have to offer.

And stop comparing your scores to your friend's scores, because again theirs don't define their intelligence either. Remind yourself that you are more than capable of achieving everything you set your mind to.