The Stress of Relaxation: Summer Edition

The stress that comes from having nothing to do

8
Chloe Bradburn

Why is it that summer is supposed to be so relaxing and calming, but it always turns out so damn stressful?

Don’t get me wrong, I love summer more than anything because, well, no homework.

But don’t you sometimes wonder why there seems to be a never-ending to-do list? I find myself adding different notes on my phone daily, which ends up in a cluster of random items ranging from inspirational quotes, from award shows, to “things I’d like to buy but know I never will” scattered together in no particular order.

I can’t help but notice how many emails I’d like to send or calls I need to make, but is it more than normal? Or am I just noticing my business because of my lack of actual stress?

I don’t know if this stress is something I am making up or something that actually exists, but I always feel more productive when I’m busier. In the summer, I find myself to be busy with appointments, scheduled workouts and golf lessons, but the time I have free never actually seems like free time.

I continue to think of the people I want to hang out with, but still need to balance that with nights with my mom binge watching The OC.

Oh and those trips I want to go on! How can I afford to do that? Will I actually be able to go on any of them?

Speaking of affording, I need a job… Ah the oh-so-present issue of the holiday job you had that doesn't need you back in the summer. So I should reach out to the families I used to babysit for, right? But all I want to do right now is eat ice cream and binge watch Netflix. Productive.

Turns out, ice cream is unhealthy. I am definitely trying to burn off the “15” pounds I gained freshman year, so maybe I can binge watch with kale and carrots. Yum.

I don’t have a cure for this rather odd feeling of “lack-of-stress-stress,” but I can tell you one thing: the things that need to get done and the people who need to be seen will get done and be seen. Enjoy the free summers you only have so many more of and allow yourself to actually breathe and relax because if you recall, there are only so many times you can do that while away from school.