From The Girl That's Been Dating The Same Guy For 4-Plus Years

Everything isn't always perfect - but with them, it's pretty close.

11943
Ally Gregory

I think a lot of people expect relationships to be particularly simple, with very little arguments or bumps in the road. Or, they might possibly expect that "spark" to always be there, and once it's not, that must mean that something has gone wrong between you two. Or, if things get boring or monotonous, then it's time to find someone new.

If there is one thing I have learned from being in a long-term relationship, it's that you will argue. Some arguments may be over something very small and relatively pointless in the end, or they may cause you to want to rip your partner's head off. Either one is normal and it will happen. Arguing does not mean giving up, arguing does not mean that you two are ruined, and arguing does not mean you two don't love each other anymore -- it means that you two are different people, have different viewpoints, will fight about it, and will work it out. It's normal. Chill.

SEE ALSO: From The From The Girl Ready To Settle Down At 20

And, that spark will always be there -- however, in a different way. It's not that whole, "we just met and everything is perfect and life is wonderful and nothing could ever go wrong" spark. The spark that'll replace it is one that makes you want to be with this person no matter what. It's a spark that makes you push through the challenging days without making you think about just giving up and leaving. It's a spark that reminds you that, through everything, you two will be okay, and you have your partner by your side -- and that's all that matters. It's a spark that simply reminds you of the love that you two share and that it gets stronger every day.

Along with this, things will notget "boring." Yeah, you might go on less dates or adventures, but it's not because you just don't feel like doing that anymore. What happens is that you two grow up together, and you each become busier and develop daily routines. That's just life. But honestly, if you're with the right person, nothing should ever really be "boring." I could sit with my partner and just talk all day and that isn't boring to me at all. Knowing that I get to see my partner after classes and/or work honestly gets me happy and excited. You might become busier and develop different routines, but that doesn't mean your relationship will become boring. It'll always be fun if you simply enjoy being with them. Plus, you can still plan fun and spontaneous dates when life slows down for a sec! Life is always exciting with them.

Honestly, I don't expect tons of people to understand this article unless they have been with the same person for awhile. I've been with my boyfriend for four years now and we have overcome plenty of bumps in the road, fights, and moments of wanting to rip each others head off -- but I wouldn't be able to do that and get through it perfectly fine with anyone else. What I'm trying to get through to you here is that rain makes rainbows, and the rainbows always last a lot longer, and make all of the tough times worth it.

When you've found the right person, you can get through anything. Every day, no matter what it entails, is a new part of your adventure that no other two people can duplicate -- and I think that's pretty cool.