Relationship Advice From The Single Gal Who's Over The Mess
relationships

Relationship Advice From The Single Gal Who's Just Over The Mess

Relationships these days are hard, but they don't have to be that way and they definitely don't have to be because we overlook more than we should!

448
https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-of-couple-holding-hands-326650/

I've seen my fair share of girls these days, both friends and strangers, that seem to put up with a lot when they're either hoping for a relationship with a particular guy or already in relationships. I've also been guilty of pining after guys that never seemed to be serious or fight for what they want. So many girls crave romantic relationships that, unfortunately, it's become a thing for girls to pine after those that really don't deserve how spectacular they actually are. I'm not calling anyone out, this is just simply the truth. So, in order to remind myself and other girls what we deserve and should seek in relationships, I've made this list. Depending on your convictions and beliefs, you may not agree with everything I have to say, and that's okay. Many of us go into relationships for different reasons and wanting different things, but these are things that have been on my heart recently:

1. The guy that has too much going on.

If he claims to have so much going on that he can't shoot you a quick text here or there, or he says he's too tired after the day, he probably isn't worth it. I understand that people get tired, especially college students after a day of classes, clubs, and possibly work. However, if you're putting time into the relationship even though you're tired, he should be too.

2. When they won't accept they're wrong. 

No. No. NO.

You need an accountability partner that will realize when they're wrong, and you should be willing to admit when you're wrong as well. Relationships are give and take. If neither of you can admit when you made a mistake, took something the wrong way, or did something wrong, that relationship won't exactly be a happy one...

3. When there are too many emotions.

Yes, I'll admit I have a lot of emotions. This could be because I'm a female and the hormones involved or it could be because I have an anxiety disorder, but everyone has their share of emotions. If you're expecting things to always be perfect and relationships to never deal with stress, you might as well not be in a relationship at all. Relationships deal with every emotion: joy, love, ecstasy, anger, sadness, confusion. That's just the way things work because men and women think differently. And sometimes, because of that fact, we misunderstand things. If you can't accept that fact, as I said before, there's the door.

4. It's just pure etiquette, no matter how archaic some claim it to be.

I recently had an impromptu dinner with a friend and I can't tell you how refreshing it was to have him open the door for me as opposed to just holding it for me behind him. This may be a concept that many people consider archaic in 2018, but things like that are part of what I want in a relationship. I want a guy that will open the door for me instead of just holding it, a guy that will give me his umbrella if I forget mine, a guy that'll text me to ask how my day was or come over to surprise me randomly. And I want a guy that prays for me and leads me in Christ.

5. If you're unequally yoked.

This is the biblical term for it, but even if you aren't a Christian, it's probably not the best thing to get into a relationship when your values don't align. And especially if they conflict. While there is that old saying that "opposites attract," I don't believe that encompasses differing moral beliefs.

6. People that don't understand the concept of "fighting" for each other. 

Y'all might think that romantic movies put this notion into girls' heads, but the concept of "fighting" for someone is much older than romantic comedies. It just hasn't always been called the same thing. When I think of "fighting" for someone, I don't think of physically fighting or even forgetting about your wellbeing to stay in a relationship. I think of two people that cling to each other even though times may get hard and they'll have misunderstandings. I think of a guy that'll text me first to start a conversation just as much as I text him first. I think of a guy that'll put in just as much effort as I do because he loves me that much.

And FYI, "fighting" for someone lasts longer than a couple days, friends. Yes, I'm a bit salty about this, but I am so sick of people saying they "fought" for someone when, in reality, it only lasted for a couple of days.

7. You should never feel like you're apologizing for who you are.

Girls, you should never feel like your crush/significant other is allowing you or making you apologize for who you are. PERIOD. Even if they are characteristics that you claim are your faults, if they're too focused on letting you tear yourself down to them instead of encouraging you and building you up, THEY AREN'T THE RIGHT GUY. And they certainly aren't a man. Only a boy would allow that.

8. You should never have to beg someone to love you.

That only lowers your self esteem and gives them more power over you, which they never deserved anyway.

9. If you have anxiety over the relationship.

Get out. It's as simple as that. I'm an anxious person, but when the majority of my anxiety is centered around a relationship, it's not the right one. Odds are that's not what God has for you because He has something even better. While relationships are going to have some stress and hardship, if they're causing you so much anxiety that it affects your mental health, it's not worth it.

10. If you had to make the relationship happen.

Same as when you're putting in all the effort, if you have to make the relationship happen, he's not the right guy. The right guy will pursue you and make his intentions as clear as day. He won't cloud anything with unclear comments or statements that show he doesn't care. He'll put in the work and go above and beyond to show you your heart and your place in his life matters. And you'll do the same.

All of this is to say that it's hard to find the right person you're supposed to be with - trust me, I know. However, that person does exist, you just have to know what you deserve and what the right person looks and acts like. Girls, you deserve the world and so does he. If you spend your time trying to be the right friend, girlfriend, and wife while you're still single, the right man will find you.