Registration Tips For Any Freshman

Registration Tips For Any Freshman

Registration is a big deal and these tips can help you a lot.

11
Registration Tips For Any Freshman

Most of my knowledge is drawn from my own university, North Carolina State, but a lot of these tips should be universal.

1- Know when people are signing up

Every college should have a specific date and time at which you can sign up, while your time may be later than others, it is important to be ready the minute that opens up. It may also be important to know when other people sign up as well. Because it can be important to check the classes you have scheduled to make sure they haven't filled up. For example, if you are signing up at 4 on Monday, but some of your friends signed up Friday, check your enrollment portal to make sure that class isn't completely filled up yet.

2- Make your schedule before hand

Just because your enrollment opens at a certain time DOES NOT mean that you should make your schedule then and there. It can be important to look ahead through your degree requirements and vaguely plan out what you should take in the upcoming semesters. By doing this you can pair some of the harder classes with some of the more relaxed classes. You don't want to take bio chem and quantum physics in the same semester.

3- Speaking of planning: READ YOUR DEGREE AUDIT

Make sure to keep track of what classes you need to take and when you should take them. A lot of classes have pre reqs that you should knock out while some classes are general educational requirements that you just want to get out of the way. It doesn't look cute if you are 22 years old and taking a health fitness class with freshman.

4- Research your professors

Your experience in a class can be VERY different depending on the professor you have. If your school has grade gradient service make sure to use that and check your teachers grade distribution. If 80% of kids get Cs in a class it probably means you should find a different professor. Also, try asking your friends that have took the class or rate my professor. Even if a professor is a nice grader it can be important to see what other people say about the class. You may even find some helpful study tips.

5- Have backup classes

As a first year student you may not get priority for the classes that you want. You should pick different classes and keep them on the side to make sure that you are getting all of your credits done. This also makes sure that you can stay a full time student at your university.