A Reflection After Veteran's Day

A Reflection After Veteran's Day

Thanks to all who put—and have put—on the uniform looking for nothing in return.

44
A Reflection After Veteran's Day
Crowdpac

To start off I would like to say that this is not political. This article is not about anything going on in the news or anything going on in politics. This is about the need to appreciate the people who do so much for us on a daily basis. It is an effort to encourage others to serve those who serve us.

We are all so quick to make opinions about the events that are going on, and the things that people do; however, many of us do not know what it truly takes to be a uniformed American hero. It may be easy for us to make assumptions and to judge the actions of others when we’ve never been in their shoes. What many fail to realize is that despite the criticism and hate that they are exposed to from the media and the public, they continue to be selfless and they continue to serve. Because of that I would like to draw attention to some of the things these people do on a daily basis.

“They sacrifice a lot to ensure the safety of this country.”

“They give up many of the comforts of being home, spending time with family, and in many cases they risk their own lives to protect ours.”

“They have such a strong passion to help others that they’d risk themselves to do so.”

“These men and women are willing to risk their lives for people they do not even know. They will go into combat, into dangerous situations, into burning buildings, to protect other people.”

“They serve and protect without being asked.”

If I am being honest, this is not something that I have always felt strongly about. Even though I have had family members and close friends that are police, fireman, EMTs, veterans, and active duty, this was just something that I saw as a career choice that they made not something that I should thank them for. When I started working for Mission BBQ in the spring, it became apparent to me that I didn’t fully understand the importance of these uniformed heroes.

First, let me give a little insight about some of the wonderful things that this restaurant does to give back to the community. The national anthem is played every day at noon; we do it simply because we can do it. Again, this is something that I never payed much attention to. Sure, I stood at football games and took my hat off at baseball games, but I never payed attention to the meaning behind it all. Now, everyday from 12:00-12:02 I am given a second to reflect on how lucky I am to be an American and have the freedom that I have. Not only that, but to be thankful for those who are fighting for this freedom.

If that doesn’t stand out to you as something that makes Mission BBQ a truly unique experience, this will. Veterans, active duty, police, firemen, and EMTs are all greeted with a handshake and a genuine “Thank you for what you do” or “Thank you for your service.” This is something that has become a part of my everyday life, outside of the walls of Mission BBQ. When I see an army hat, a police badge, a fireman shirt, etc., I like to strike up a conversation. I like to say thanks. It’s not something I have to do, it’s something that I want to do. Many of these personnel have stories that are incredible. They have experienced things that I can only imagine. They do these things without expecting anything in return. They do not expect to be thanked. They do not expect a reward. These individuals make these choices because they have a servant’s heart. A coworker of mine at Mission BBQ put it into words well by saying, “It's important to reflect and make remarks about our role as civilians. How we act and vote impacts how these folks live or die. We have a duty to American heroes to act and vote for those who respect all human life. Most American citizens don't consider others first right now and they don't understand the full cost that comes with all that we have. We have a duty to serve those who serve us.”

“To serve is to use your knowledge and skills to pursue a common goal.”

“To serve is to honor your country and it’s beliefs.”

“To serve is to help the community and others.”

“To serve is to put the safety of others above the safety of yourself.”

“To serve is to help people and fight for what you believe in.”

“To serve is to put others before yourself, expecting nothing in return.”

Police officers, firefighters, EMTs, and those in the military truly are examples of what it means to serve. They go to work everyday in the pursuit to protect others and to help others. The impact that they have on their communities have inspired me and many others to make an impact as well. I asked a friend of mine who is currently in an ROTC program what made him pick that path. His answer made me think: "There aren’t many places in the world where men and women I have never met will fight, with their lives, to grant me rights that not everyone else has. There aren’t many of those places where those same men and women don’t ask for anything in return. They just love this country and its people enough that they’re willing to fight for them. I want to be a part of that and give my community that same feeling."

Now, don’t get me wrong. Not everyone loves talking about the experiences that they had oversees. Not everyone loves attention being drawn towards their professions. Many uniformed American heroes do not see themselves as heroes. However, a simple handshake, smile, and thank you for your service can go a long way. With that being said, I would like to extend a thank you to all who put—and have put—on the uniform looking for nothing in return.