Reflecting On His First Ever Beyonce Concert

The Formation Tour proves to be a "Sweet Dream" for Winthrop student Hakeem Anderson

129

What may have been a typical night to you was extraordinary to this young man.

Senior history major and two-year employee of Starbucks at Winthrop University, Hakeem Anderson has been a fan of Beyonce for as long as he can remember. Being a busy college student and lead supervisor at Starbucks he always knew he’d get the chance to see Beyonce live but he didn’t know when the chance would come.

Although the concert was two months ago (May 3).

Check out the Q/A below:

Shakora Bamberg: Take me back to that day what was the weather like, how did your day begin leading up to walking through the gates for the concert

Hakeem Anderson: My best friend, Savanna and I was attending the concert that day and of course I was very excited about it all. My day started off with me getting up at 8 a.m. to wash, get dressed (in formation) of course and to make sure that everything was going as planned. I read about all of her concerts so far on the Formation Tour and traffic was a major problem, so getting up early was very crucial. Also the type of ticket I had, being there earlier than others with the same ticket was very important so that I could have a good spot in the Beypit. By the time Savanna and I got in the car, it was close to 10. The day was actually very beautiful to begin with. It wasn’t too hot and the sky was clear. The drive was three and a half hours long. We drove from Rock Hill SC, to Raleigh NC, where the concert would be taking place. I will never forget what I was wearing to the concert.

I had on some white jeans with a red top. I wore black converses with red shoe strings. I also brought along a yellow raincoat because there was a storm forecasted for that evening. When we arrived in Raleigh after jamming out to Beyoncé and getting hype, I had to make sure I had my ticket. Savanna had her ticket because she had a seat. Being in the Beyhive pit onstage however required me to pick them up at the concert before it started. We arrived around 1 p.m. The gates were not yet open so we decided to go to a gas station across the street to use the restroom and get some well needed rest. We got back up at around 2 p.m. and tried again. No luck. At 3 p.m. we were able to enter.

Not knowing where to go we asked some security guards where to go and they directed us to our reserved parking spot right outside the gates! We then decided to take pictures in front of the official truck of the Formation Tour. After asking around for about 15 minutes we found out where we was supposed to go to get my tickets. At the gate, Savanna went to one line and I went into the Beyhive line where there was already six people ahead of me. Of course I thought I would have been first but after standing for a hour about 50 or 60 people were standing behind me. I was given a laminate V.I.P pass when I was in line and a band that signified what side I would be standing on because there was a pit on each side of the stage. Obviously being the super fan that I am, I’ve studied her past dates and knew that she went to the left side more so I asked what side my white band stood for and sure enough it was for the left.

I was very content at that point. Now the gate was not going to open until 6 p.m. so I was literally standing in line for three hours with an extra hour added because of safety concerns. We got an announcement that we had to leave the gates and either go back to our vehicles or the inside venue behind us. There was a thunderstorm coming through the city. Everybody in the Beyhive line however refused to leave. We didn’t have seats so we thought it would have been unfair to have to leave and lose our spots. Even when the lightning and thunder was above us, we refused to leave.

After 20 minutes of yelling that we weren’t moving, a lady came and led us away in the exact position we came in to ensure that we did not lose spots. We went into the inside venue in a single file line and there was one moment when somebody got called out for cutting. We obviously don’t play in the Beyhive. I would have to say that even though my best friend and I separated at like 3 p.m., I felt like I was with family when I was standing with the rest of the hive. We finally were able to go through the gates a little before 7 p.m. or at 7 p.m..There were 40,000 people in attendance at the concert.

SB: Was this your first time attending her concert if so did it live up to your expectations?

HA: This was my first time attending a concert of hers because it was the first time I could’ve afford it and the first time I caught one before it sold out. I set the expectations so high because I loved Beyoncé so much and knew what she was capable of. Queen Bey however set a new bar herself and exceeded every expectation I had for her.

SB: What do you want people to know about this performer that you got from seeing her live?

HA: Unlike a number of artists, seeing Beyoncé is very surreal. Not only could she sing but she could sing and dance live without a crack in her voice or a missed step with the heels she burn the floor up with. She is absolutely fantastic and flawless as ever. She puts on a show spectacular and anything she does, she do it big. From dancing in a pool live to being on the biggest rotating screen I’ve ever seen in my life, she is every bit the Queen. She is also very interactive with the crowd and there are moments where she’ll talk to everyone and listen to the fans screaming.

SB: What do you think about this artist and why?

HA: Beyoncé is the most creative artist around at this time and possibly of all time. She has changed the game of how albums are released by dropping them surprisingly out of thin air or on HBO as a visual album. Every major artists nowadays are more concerned with dropping singles and promoting it to the end. Beyoncé is dropping albums instead that almost makes a person listen to it in its entirety instead of selecting certain songs. Her albums also have deep meanings to it. On Lemonade, feminism, black lives matter, and embracing African American culture for what it is some things sung about.

She is a very hard working woman who sacrifices every day of her life to deliver to the world. Beyoncé is also very different from a Rihanna or Katy Perry. I like them both but Beyoncé is all about taking risks, which makes me go harder for her in the music industry. Outside of the music industry she is very charitable and one includes her being very involved in the Black Lives Matter movement. She also doesn’t boast about what she does for charity and I love that a lot about her. Beyonce gives 100 percent of herself to her fans and I love that.

SB: How soon will you be going back to see her?

HA: I am not sure for now. I know that I will be attending a concert if she goes on tour again. She did expand dates to come back to Atlanta in September but I don’t think I’m going to that because I may not get the same experience as I did in Raleigh.

SB: How much were your tickets unless if they were a gift?

HA: $805 dollars and worth every penny.

SB: What time did it begin and what time did it end?

HA: It had to start around 7:30 p.m. We got evacuated once again during the concert in the middle but Beyoncé wanted to give us a whole show even though it was in the rain. That’s why I love her. We ended up leaving midnight.

SB: Did you get really close to her for you to touch her?

HA: I was essentially at the stage. I also positioned myself according to other concerts video to see where exactly she would have stopped along the stage. I know I’m being a real nerd about it but I’m just that much of a fan. Had to get exact coordinates. I was able to feel her hands as she put them out towards everyone in the pit. I also got to sing in the microphone during the song "Party," which was so surreal because I would have never imagined.

She crouched right in front of me for a good 15 seconds which is a long time when you think about it. My hand went from her knee to her arm. I tried not to put weight on her but I was so excited but she is such a professional. She was able to hold herself in place without even swaying from my hands.She looked right in my eyes and smiled when I she held the mic to my mouth. It was as if I was in another word! I was in a perfect position for a selfie but it was raining so hard my hand kept slipping. I however got lucky and her photographer posted a picture of me and her to her official page! The picture that he is describing is directly below.

SB: Did you meet any of her bodyguards, dancers, makeup artist and other assistants?

HA: I got to meet her female band and The Mama’s, her backup singers! The Mama’s actually said hi to me and all. They were amazing throughout the night. I meet a couple of her dancers as they danced their way across the stage.

SB: Why was important for you to see her?

HA: When you grow up on Beyoncé and learning every aspect of her life, music, and records, why wouldn’t I? Also having that live concert experience with someone I respect and look up to was very important to me.

SB: What other artists would you like to see ?

HA: I already saw Nicki Minaj who is my favorite rapper and Demi Lovato.

To be honest, I would love to see Justin Bieber since I really grew up on him since he started. Katy Perry, One Direction, Lady Gaga, Usher and maybe Rihanna would be artists I’ll like to see.

SB: Is Beyonce your favorite artist?

HA: What kind of question is that? ABSOLUTELY!

SB: Is there anything else you’d like to share about this experience?

HA: The Beyhive is absolutely crazy! I’m glad to say that I’m a part of it. It felt like I’ve known those people all my life in the pit. We knew the words to all her songs and were just as excited and passionate about Beyoncé. We had fun shading Rihanna together and talking about Beyoncé new line, Ivy Park.

SB: Did she perform your favorite song?

HA: It’s hard to pick an absolute favorite song because I love all of her music so much. According to my music library, Countdown is my favorite song I’ll have to agree. That is my favorite song by a half of point. And she did perform it! I was so excited!

SB: What is your favorite song or top five of all-time of her music?

HA: It is really hard to do this. There are too many to choose. But I’ll try.

1. "Countdown"

2." I was Here"- Song is very meaningful love her vocals in this song and it has a very strong message.

3. "Drunk in Love"

4. "Dangerously in Love"-The best love song ever.

5. "Single Ladies"