10 Red Flags That Prove Your Relationship Is Emotionally Abusive And You Need To Pack Your Bags

Yes, emotional abuse is just as bad as physical abuse.

378
Photo by Pablo Varela on Unsplash

Let me start off by saying how hard this is to write. Talking about this is never easy, but I feel like I had to get it out, and I know I'm not alone in this, so hopefully this can help anyone who is/was in an emotionally abusive relationship.

I saw a tweet once that said:

"No matter how much you miss a toxic person, please don't ever contact them again. Don't. It's not worth it, you will be sad again regardless of the many times they told you it wouldn't be that way anymore. You deserve nothing but happiness, and it is not them."

That tweet hit me because I saw how many people retweeted it and liked it, so I felt like no one in that situation was alone. We all saw each other and even if we don't know everyone, we all have a story behind why we liked or retweeted that.

I went through an abusive relationship, and it might not seem as bad as physical abuse, but let me tell you, at least with physical abuse someone could possibly see the bruises and scars, with emotional abuse nobody is able to offer help. They don't even know it's happening.

Here are 10 signs that if you see in your relationship, DROP THEM.

1.If something is important to you, don't let your significant other tear that down. It's important to you for a reason. If they make you feel like you can't love that thing, DROP THEM.

2. If they tell their mom that you are religious, and even their mom makes fun of you for it, DROP THEM.

3. If you are venting to them about how stressed out you are with classes, and they tell you to just "shut up and chill out," DROP THEM.

4. If they don't trust you when you've done nothing but be honest with them, DROP THEM.

5. If they call you 3 times, text you twice, and Snapchat message you 4 times within an hour while you're at church, DROP THEM.

They aren't doing it to be "cute" or "show that they care".

6. If they tell you to skip classes and church to spend time with them, and they threaten to break up with you if you don't, DROP THEM.

7. If they want you to be "theirs," but you're not ready to be in a relationship yet, don't let them pressure you into it. They want to control you.

8. If he asks you why you stopped wearing makeup for him, and thinks that you wear makeup specifically to impress him, DROP HIM.

9. If they make you worry more about them than anything else, DROP THEM.

10. If they make you stop talking to any of your friends just because they don't like them, DROP THEM.

You can't change them, so if you relate to any of these things, you need to get that toxic person out of your life.

Whatever you do, don't lower your standards for anyone because you will always be let down.

The best part about this: if your life starts going immediately right after you break up with them, BE PROUD OF YOURSELF. You got out of something that so many people aren't strong enough to do.