10 Reasons You Might Be Addicted To 'SVU'

"These are their stories."

121
USA Network

"Law and Order: Special Victims Unit" (SVU) is a television show that has been airing since the 90's. Its complex plot lines, dramatic plot twists, and fierce characters make the show worth watching. The following is a list of reasons why you might be addicted to watching SVU.

1. You know every word of the opening narration:

"In the criminal justice system, sexually-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In New York City, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the special victims unit. These are their stories."

*Dun dun*

2. You can also recite the Miranda Rights:

I mean, you're basically a cop now. You probably have thought about someday working at a place just like the Special Victims Unit, but you know it just won't be the same. Maybe you will just audition for a role on the show. You can cry on command, right?

3. You blow off other plans to binge-watch the show:

Sure, your friends want you to come to the gym with them to workout, but why would you do that when the biggest plot twist of all time just happened on the show? Granted, every plot twist usually seems like the biggest plot twist of all time, but you need to find out what happens to Maria. The gym can wait. There is no time for that now.

4. You either want to marry Olivia Benson, or you want to be just like her:

Nothing says confident like Olivia Benson, and she continues to stand out on the show as a powerful, independent woman who fights like a girl (in a good way, duh). She might just be perfect, and her tenacity and drive is inspiring for any young person who just wants to believe in themselves.

5. Ever since Stabler left, you feel lost:

I have to admit, the show is still perfect in every way, but it's hard to watch the newer episodes without Stabler. What do we do without his one-liners? What are we going to do without Benson and Stabler's amazing friendship and chemistry? Where is his eldest daughter now? Is she OK? I know I'm not.

6. When Netflix took off more than half of the seasons, you might have had a heart-attack:

Sure, maybe I cried a little. How am I supposed to go back and watch the evolution of Benson's haircuts and the episode that has Jesse McCartney in it? The episodes from the 90's might be difficult to watch because of the technology they had back then, the weird fashion sense they all seem to be sporting, and the lack of character development, but those episodes were the beginning of it all.

7. You have a favorite ADA, and you will fight whoever disagrees with you:

Maybe that's a little intense, but so are your feelings towards your favorite Assistant District Attorney. There have been many throughout the years, and anyone with an "SVU" obsession can probably name the one that makes the show even more worth watching.

8. When anyone is talking about legal matters, the law, or anything of that matter, you can help them out with your knowledge:

No, you've never gotten arrested before, and you sure haven't stepped inside a real courtroom. Your friends might think you are strange when you start spitting out facts about the legal system, but just play it cool. No one will know that you secretly watch an episode of SVU every night before you go to bed.

9. You found out how to make the *dun dun* noise as your text tone, and now you're never going back:

This is a quick and easy way to find the SVU fan in the room. Just set this as your text tone, and wait for someone to gasp. Now you have someone to binge watch the show with. And if your friends don't know what it's from, you can welcome them into the fandom.

10. Your dream is to be part of the squad:

And you are, because you are a hardcore fan of SVU. So what if you didn't actually fight crime and lock all of the criminals away for life? You did your part by being a dedicated fan. Now, go and watch your favorite episode.