12 Reasons Criminal Minds Is The Best Show on TV

If you haven't seen it, you don't know what you're missing.

5502

Who doesn't love a little crime when you're not involved? Crime TV shows and movies have been increasing in popularity for around a decade or two; America seems to obsess over them. It's impossible to flip through the channels without finding at least one show about police, the FBI, or murder. Some have been on air for longer than others, but all have merit in their own right. Nonetheless, one has stood above the rest in my eyes since its air date in 2005. So, if you love crime and haven't started following the Behavioral Analysis Unit of the FBI by watching Criminal Minds, you'll probably reconsider after finishing this article.

1. For a crime show, Criminal Minds is not full of gore.

If you're like me, your weak stomach probably prevents you from watching a decent amount of horror, crime, and intense programming. I had to stop watching some of the CSI shows for this exact reason. Gore and grotesque bodies obviously come with the territory of this kind of programming, but Criminal Minds keeps this facet of the show to a minimum because they concentrate on the mentality of the criminals along with Penelope Garcia's infamous technological stalking to solve the cases.

2. Criminal Minds lets you see inside the mind of many different kinds of criminals.

Because this show follows the Behavioral Analysis Unit of the FBI, they predominantly rely on the behavior, thought processes, and other evidence that alludes to the criminal's behavior in order to solve the crime instead of outright violence. And since a majority of episodes are inspired by real events, these pieces of evidence allow the audience to learn about how different types of serial killers function in real life.

3. The cast's acting is phenomenal.

It's implied that with crime comes intense emotions of all kinds. Over the seasons, these agents have found themselves in all kinds of situations, and as a viewer of ten years, I have never felt as if the expressions of the actors mismatched the emotions of the characters. Every single actor in the cast is an all-star in their own right, and together, their chemistry is absolutely amazing.

4. The difficult backstories of the characters bring them to life.

Each member of the team has a very different reason that they were drawn to their career, and each is given time on the show to be explained. Without giving too many spoilers, some were driven by family members, some were recruited, and some feel as if it is their life's duty to stop the evil of humanity.

5. The show is not afraid to explore the effects of PTSD and other taboo mental illnesses.

Many different cases have affected team members to develop elements of PTSD, yet the show never shies away from explaining the emotions of the situations at hand. You experience the disorder along with the characters themselves which is unlike most programs, but this show is not afraid to lose its viewers because of the discussion of mental illnesses.

6. Different actors/agents have joined (and left) the team organically.

The dynamics of the team are definitely not the same now as they were back in its beginnings in 2005, but they're still amazingly connected as a team regardless of newer faces. The original leader of the team actually left on his own accord because he was not prepared for the daily work within the genre. "It was very destructive to my soul and my personality," Mandy Patinkin who played Agent Gideon has said in many interviews. Agent Gideon's character was replaced by Agent Rossi in an earlier season. Even though many viewers were afraid of this change, Joe Mantegna who plays Rossi fills the shoes in his own great way. Other characters have had their own reasons for leaving and such, but the core dynamics of the cast have never wavered.

7. Dr. Spencer Reid. Enough said.

Not every show has a lead actor playing a genius with an IQ of 187 and a perfect, eidetic memory. Reid brings a unique element to the show that is hard to describe, but I'll start with this: He earned three Ph.D.'s by the age of 22 and can read 20,000 words per minute. Seeing him age over the seasons adds to Reid's charming and adorable personality. He's a fan-favorite for a reason! I sure know he's my favorite.

8. The men and women on this show are eye candy in addition to being great actors.

They're all very different, but just look at these beautiful people and tell me you wouldn't enjoy watching their faces for 40 minutes. Except for maybe Agent Hotchner...No offense, Hotch.

9. It's realistic and believable.

Some crime shows focus too much on one aspect of the crime. Sometimes the action can be overbearing when other facets are ignored. The balance of emotion and action on this show, along with the fact that the team sometimes follows incorrect leads at first, gives Criminal Minds a more realistic feeling than most other crime shows.

10. There are some amazing one-line jokes.

For a show with such a serious subject matter, some moments will have you chucking much louder than you could have expected.

11. Likewise, there are some amazing quotations.

Most episodes begin and/or end with a quotation from someone else. The show walks on the border of life and death, so there are a lot of deep, thought-provoking and philosophical moments that really shape the feeling of the show.

12. You are a part of the team.

By the end of an episode, you feel drawn in. You end up solving the mystery with the cast and becoming a part of the BAU family!