Why Valencia Is The Best City In The World

Valencia will steal your heart, guaranteed.

1624

Over a year after returning home from my semester abroad in Valencia, Spain, I still find myself in awe of this incredible and special city. In just five short months, Valencia became my home away from home, my safe haven and my community. There is so much to love about Valencia… the food, the traditional values, both the old and new city centers, the festivals, the people from near and far, the list goes on and on. I’m going to share just a few of the many reasons Valencia is the best city in the world.

Traditional Values

The Valencian community has their own language, their own patron saint’s day, their own music, clothes and festivals. The people who live in this city are so proud to be valencianos, and they are always so willing and open to share their traditions and cultures with others.

El Río Turia

Río in Spanish means “river,” so you might be surprised to find out that el Río Turia is actually a path running from the Ciudad de Artes y Ciencias to Bioparc. This used to be a river, but after flooding the city it became a park full of playgrounds, picnicking areas and running paths. There’s even Gulliver Park, based on the children's adventure.

The Architecture

Even the McDonald's and Starbucks were in beautiful old buildings. La Lonja, González Martí National Museum of Ceramics and Decorative Arts and Los Torres de Serranos were just a few of many architectural spectacular works of art.

La Ciudad de Artes y Ciencias

Speaking of architecture, La Ciudad de Artes y Ciencias is a modern masterpiece. Although some Valencians question its creation and value for the community, it is a spectacular sight to see. It includes a science museum, an IMAX theater, an aquarium and the best nightclub in the city, MIA!

The Nightlife

Speaking of MIA, the nightlife in Valencia puts the rest of the world to shame. If you get to the club before three a.m., you’re early! But you also get in for free if you put your name on a guest list. The night usually begins with a botellón, or an outdoor pregaming in the park with friends. This usually lasts through most of the night, but around 3:30 people start heading to the clubs. Here people dance until sunrise (literally), then head home for breakfast and to go to sleep. Seeing the sunrise at a rooftop club is one of the most incredible experiences you can have.

La Paella

You haven’t experienced Valencia if you haven’t eaten the most valencian food out there. Paella is a rice dish that is cooked in a special pan that it is also served in. Traditionally it will come with clams and/or rabbit meat, but there is always a vegetarian option.

Bioparc

On the other end of Río Turia is Bioparc, one of the best zoos I have ever been to! One of the great things about Bioparc is that all of the exhibits are made of natural barriers such as stone, rather than artificial-looking fences. You can see giraffes and zebras roaming side by side, or walk through Madagascar where lemurs freely roam around you.

Bakeries Everywhere

Around every corner there’s three more bakeries! Coffee and a croissant for a euro or two was the typical deal, but there’s so much more to choose from! Churros and chocolate are another Spanish must-have. And there’s nothing like a good cup of cafe con leche, or coffee with milk.

Festivals

It seems like there was another festival going on every day. From Easter, to the day of their patron saint, to every little day in between, the valencians always have something to celebrate! So many times I went to the city center only to be surprised by music, dancing and parades.

Las Fallas

The biggest festival of them all, and my personal favorite thing about Valencia, is Las Fallas. Las Fallas is a month-long celebration in March to celebrate the beginning of a new year and a fresh start. Throughout the month there is music, dancing, parades, fireworks and of course the creation of elaborate, story-high sculptures that fill the streets. The last week of the festival there are more fireworks, pop-up nightclubs, food carts and all of the completed statues. On the last day the statues are all burned, signifying a new beginning. There are no words to describe how incredible this experience is.

100 Montaditos

Sandwiches for 50 cents? A beer for a euro? There’s no place else you can get a meal as cheap and as cute as 100 Montaditos. With over 100 bite-sized sandwiches to choose from, everyone will find something they love to eat here! They even have dessert sandwiches made with chocolate bread.

Soccer Games Mestalla Stadium

For 20 euros or less, you can get tickets to Mestalla Stadium to see un partido de fútbol, or a soccer game. The spirit is high, the sunset over the stadium is beautiful and there is an entire section of the stadium always full of fans chanting and pumping up the crowd!

Erasmus Life

Valencia is so incredibly welcoming to students and interns from all over the world. With two Erasmus programs available for us, we are constantly provided with opportunities to go on amazing day or overnight trips on a budget. We also get special deals at bars, nightclubs and attractions around the city. Valencia sure does know how to treat its international friends!

The Spirit

Finally, the spirit of the city is something that I simply cannot put into words. Anyone who has been there will know what I mean. The atmosphere is so uniquely “Valencia,” and every day seems utterly magical. There is a strong sense of community even when you only know a few people, and the endless opportunities for experiencing new things keeps you wanting to come back for more. Once you visit Valencia, it will steal a piece of your heart forever. And no matter how much you try, you will never be able to get that piece back. When thinking, talking about, or spending time in Valencia, the city will always provide you with a sense of comfort and belonging. Valencia is home.