5 Signs That You Were Meant To Become A Journalist

It really has always been in you.

949

I think I've always been drawn to writing. Even form the time I was in elementary school, my teachers have told me that I'm a great writer. But that's not why I do it.

From a young age, the written word has always been better for me to express myself, and feel free and heard. I feel more understood when writing than when speaking. The words are the same, but for me, writing is a whole different vibe.

I noticed recently that traits I've had for quite some time, have always pointed to journalism, it just wasn't until now that I saw them. Here are the signs that maybe you should study journalism and become a journalist:

You Where A "Why" Kid.

I think my inquisitive nature got me in trouble at times. I always wanted to ask my parents why rules were in place and why certain things happened. Being a why kid means you keep asking that question until you get an answer, which is exactly what journalist have to do to public figures and officials.

You REALLY Like Stories.

I used to read a lot of books as a child and the fact that people could tell a story and create another world with only words was so amazing to me. I also used to be really captivated by the stories my parents told me about their families and from their childhoods. Even now, when I listen to podcasts, they're only using words to create a scene but you often feel like you're there and see what they see.

You Actually LIKE Short Answer Questions.

In middle school, I remember vividly how everyone was always so much happier when our tests were all multiple choice. Everyone except for me that is. I always liked short answer questions more because it gave me a chance to explain myself and even if I didn't know the answer at all, I could BS it and get some points. With multiple choice, if it's wrong, it's wrong and there's no partial credit or place to explain your reasoning.

You Want To Give Back Or Give Answers.

As far as local journalists are concerned, they provide information about everything in your proximity, from what's happening at city hall to what's happening in your school district, none of which you may know without them. Maybe that's the community you grew up in and you remember hearing that information on the news. Now you get to relay it to the next generation.

And with large national and international media companies, yes, there is social media but there are certain rooms only people with a press badge are allowed to enter and there is certain information that only large companies with an established name are rusted with by some sources.

You Value Truth and Honesty.

Honesty is one of the main principles/virtues that I try to live by. I always try to be as honest and authentic as possible and I hold others to that standard as well. Being a journalist means being on a constant quest for the truth. People will try to stop you and push you back but you will find that truth will always be one of your strongest traits.

Obviously, sure you can still be an effective journalist without any of these traits. But in my opinion, these are things that are instilled in you and make journalism an instinct rather than just another job.