Better Outrun My Gun: My Opinion On Mass Shootings
Politics

Faster than my bullet

120

I'm definitely going down the train of problems that seem to keep rising up in our country. Problems with healthcare and drug epidemics and now we're onto drugs. Yet another school shooting. Another white kid tearing up a school and taking the lives of people who should be safest at school, learning how to be better people and make the world a better place. I have so much to say. And I'm sure all of it will be controversial.

People want their guns. Personally, I've never seen the allure but the few gun owners I know are pretty knowledgeable about their weapons, and take care of them and exercise proper caution when using and taking care of such things. They are very adamant about their right to bear arms, and that's cool and stuff. Self-protection isn't a bad idea and it really is an awful world out there. But I never hear about these gun owners protecting themselves with anything but a pistol. It's hard to carry anything bigger really without it being easily seen. So why would you need a bigger gun?

The biggest thing I've been hearing is that we have the right to protect ourselves against an oppressive government. And I'm sorry but that makes me laugh. What exactly will you be protecting yourself from? As bad as it is, we don't live in a country where the government just attacks people at random. We don't live in a place where the government is going to do anything at all to the people. And even more so. I don't care what kind of silly gun you have to protect yourself. If the government wanted to take you down, you're not going to be able to do anything against highly trained officers and soldiers by yourself. Or really, if it's that bad, what are you going to do against a missile? The whole argument is absurd.

We need stricter gun laws. It's as simple as that. Not to take them away, but no one but officers and the military should have anything that shoots more than 1 round per second. Hunters don't need it. And people protecting themselves aren't protecting themselves from a group of people. We don't need it. There is nothing that could possibly be said to be a good enough reason not to cut down on the type of weapons available. Yeah, criminals break laws anyways, but it doesn't help when they're already so easy to get. Just because criminals will still get and sell drugs doesn't mean we make it all legal anyways.

The other argument from gun owners is that guns don't kill, people do. We need to parent better. But where's the solution for that? How exactly do you think we will parent better? Not everyone in this country gets the same opportunities. If he was mentally ill, guess what? Our healthcare system isn't set up to cater to anyone. If you can't afford it, then what? It just has to go untreated. Whose fault is it now?

And here's my final and most controversial retort. If this was anyone else but a white kid, we would label him a terrorist and be done with it. These crazy gun owners? These ones shooting or threatening to shoot people and doing it en masse? White people. But I'm sure we'll just deny it. Sounds racist, doesn't it? Honestly, at this point, we deserve it.